I need help

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
crabnoobie

I need help

Post by crabnoobie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:08 pm

My daughter won a hermit crab from school last week. I have no idea what type, gender, or anything else for that matter about it. Everything seemed fine with the crab very active and then all of a sudden tonight it had came out of its shell and had not went back in. I have quite a few shells in there for it. I am not sure what is wrong and what to do. Can someone please help. :?

Hermycrabitat21

Re: I need help

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:17 pm

Ok well the best thing that ypu can do right now is get a container that is not to big just large enough to put him and a few shells that are his size including the shell he came out of and put Luke warm dechlorinated water in it. Just fill enough to cover the bottom of the container. The point is to keep his abdomen moist.
What type of tank or cage is he in? Is there any information that you could provide us with that will help us better understand the environmental conditions he is currently living in?
Also when a crab leaves his shell it means that they are under a great deal of stress. This is usually when a crab is new but it could also be that he doesn't have the proper environment. These guys need so much care, including heat, 80-85 degrees and humidity 80%.
Hopefully within a few hours he will return to his shell or go into a new one but if he doesn't then you will have to. You can do this by unfurling his abdomen gently and tucking his butt into the shell, and slowly wiggle him back in.
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3

Topic author
crabnoobie

Post by crabnoobie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:27 pm

He is in a 20 gallon aquarium and right now he is in gravel. A little sand. He is all by him self. I know I need to change his environment. But can't do anything till Friday. His cage temp is reading between 76/78. He is still very active though without a shell. I have pics but idk how to post them from my phone.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 am

Also, if you haven't already, take a look at our Caresheet section. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... c8b4b78ba4 There's loads of great info there, very much worth taking the time to read through it all. Welcome to the HCA! :D

Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

so how is he doing? were you able to get him back into a shell? temp looks good but do you know how his humidity is? humidity needs to be 80%. if the humidity is not high enough then he cannot breathe properly. they have gills that are modified to breathe air but it has to be moisturized air. so for now just make sure he has that humidity and the heat. but the size tank he is in is perfect.
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3