Adoption Day

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MgnB

Adoption Day

Post by MgnB » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:55 am

Hi! I have 5 small pps in a 55 gallon tank. I've had them since July and 3 have molted. I found a craigslist ad an hour away giving away 4 pps. She says they've had them for 3.5-4 years. I'm looking for advice as to what I need to do with these new guys before adding them in. My original 5 came straight from the beach. Something my son knows not to do next time. Image
Thank you in advance

CallaLily

Re: Adoption Day

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 am

If they are in good health you can just give them each a quick dip in the freshwater pool before placing in the main tank. If any seem ill or you just want to be extra careful, you can set up an ISO tank for the new crabs. Give them a chance to fill up on good food, extra shells, and to molt before placing them in the main tank. It's up to you. Good luck and I hope you'll share pics. It's awesome you're choosing to adopt! :D

Topic author
MgnB

Re: Adoption Day

Post by MgnB » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks CallaLily. They all looked great. One was buried and she dug him up. She says she has done this before when she cleans and has never had a problem. She dug around him and placed him in a seperate container. I placed the container in a 29 gal I have still setup. I'll just leave him be. Here is a picture of them meeting some of my guys. Fingers crossed. Image