Isolating new crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
kcgirl81

Isolating new crabs

Post by kcgirl81 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:17 am

Hi everyone! I just adopted 4 new crabs from craigslist. The person brought them to me in a plastic bucket, so I have no idea what their tank was like or what conditions they were in. One looked like it needed to molt--that cloudy look to the exo.

Here's my question: What can I do to make their transition as good as possible and increase their chances for survival?

Here is what I have done: They are in a small iso setup right now--basically just a plastic tub with plastic wrap over the top to keep in humidity (with air vents, of course). It has forest bedding, fresh and salt water, appropriate temp and humidity ranges, and fresh food with calcium supplement available. Also new shells to change into.

Here is my experience: I have been keeping crabs for 8 years. My guys are healthy and happy. I'm pretty set in my routines, but it's been a while since I've added new crabs to the setup, so I just want to make sure I give them the best start possible.

Do you have a routine you follow when you buy new crabs, especially if you don't know about their previous setup or health?

One guy dug down immediately, and the other 3 are just hanging out. They have visited the food dish and saltwater dish, but mostly they're staying put. :)

Thanks!

Hermit-Yote

Re: Isolating new crabs

Post by Hermit-Yote » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 am

My Q tank is a 10g with no substrate, save for moistened paper towels. I have a plastic basket for climbing, hiding, and it's easy to clean.
I clean the tank daily, and completely. Everything is taken out and washed thoroughly. The crabs are bathed in stress coat, I check carefully to be sure there aren't any mites in the water after I dunk each one. I keep an eye out for any mites, if there aren't any after the second day, I add coconut fiber to the tank for hiding and molting. :)
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
—Albert Schweitzer

Topic author
kcgirl81

Post by kcgirl81 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:35 pm

How long do you leave them in iso? Do you wait till they molt (what if they don't seem inclined to dig down right away)?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:14 am

You can ISO to let them get their fill of good food and shells and keep them there until after their first successful molt with you. Or, if they're healthy, you can give them a quick dip in the freshwater pool (to make them smell more familiar to your already established colony) and place them directly into the main tank keeping a close eye on things for a while. It's really up to you. Some crabbers like to err on the side of caution and always ISO new crabs, others introduce healthy crabs right away after the FW dip. Unhealthy crabs of course should be ISO'd.

Hermit-Yote

Post by Hermit-Yote » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:59 am

I leave mine for a few days, unless one digs down, then he gets to stay there until he comes up on his own will. :)

After having to clear 55g worth of substrate because I didn't ISO a crab with mites, I won't be doing that again, haha!
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
—Albert Schweitzer

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:19 am

Hermit-Yote wrote: After having to clear 55g worth of substrate because I didn't ISO a crab with mites, I won't be doing that again, haha!
I agree. Unhealthy crabs should be ISO'd. That includes a (harmful) mite infestation in my mind.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Hermit-Yote wrote:I leave mine for a few days, unless one digs down, then he gets to stay there until he comes up on his own will. :)

After having to clear 55g worth of substrate because I didn't ISO a crab with mites, I won't be doing that again, haha!
I have some adoptions coming in and I will be sure to super check for mites!!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
kcgirl81

Post by kcgirl81 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks! This is really helpful. I guess they should be ready in a day or two then since they've been in iso a couple days already. I'm replacing some substrate in my main tank today, and then they should be good to go. :)