How Old Are Your Crabs?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Crabinski

How Old Are Your Crabs?

Post by Crabinski » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Seeing the posts about Floridian Carol Ormes and her 37 year old PP Jonathan Livingston Crab has me wondering: how old are members' crabs?

I know that we can use size as a rough indicator of age but that doesn't necessarily correlate with how long we've had them. For instance, I've had PP Felix for over 6 years and he's still a "small to small-medium". Harry has been with me for 3+ years and is a solid "medium," definitely larger than Felix. Big Enzo has been here for only a few months and absolutely dwarfs the others. Granted, we really have no idea how old they are when we adopt them or buy them from a pet store so Harry could be older than Felix and Big Enzo a lot older than both of them :dunno: .

I'm curious to know how long you all have had your crabbies. Is anyone getting anywhere near 20 years or so?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How Old Are Your Crabs?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 am

My first crab is still with me, so Goji celebrated our Fifth anniversary on Sept. 6th. I have a few adoptees who have been in captivity for 8, 9 & 10 years.

The HCA gets several adoption requests every year of crabs who have been with their owners for 10 years or more. I think the longest has been 18 years. We had someone join once with a crab they had for 23. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:12 am

I've had mine since my last year of junior high on -- making it about twelve years? :crabbigsmile:
I'd guesstimate he's maybe fourteen at the absolute most. :cake:
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:33 am

I had dwebble for five months going on six months he's a small purple pincher I got him on my birthday on may 27th

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:23 am

I started crabbing June 20th. 1 of my original 2 is still with me. My first 2 were E's which makes it impressive Houdini lived through my trial and error since he is an exotic. So a little over 4 months. The first 2 of my purple pinchers were purchased 2 days after I started and they are still with me. :) the other 24...lol are staggered and several are large and 2 maybe even jumbo. I really need to print that chart!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:29 am

Cinnamon has been with me the longest, 6 years on Aug. 11. Elanor, Athelas, and Niphredil have also been with me for 6 years. I have an adoptee that I picked up in May that the previous owner says she had for 13 years. My original crab, Favre, passed away sometime the beginning of this year, so a few months shy of his 6 year anniversary. :(

I started crabbing a few days before I joined the HCA.