Where do most get their crabs?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
birdbaby19

Where do most get their crabs?

Post by birdbaby19 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Also I here and see pics of softball size hermies where do u get them? I live in Duluth Mn and can't get them locally.

hermitcrabdc

Re: Where do most get their crabs?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:42 pm

A lot of times from reading on here, most hermit crabs that are bought as that size don't adjust very well into captivity. I don't think anyone knows why, sadly. Usually though to buy one in a pet store you have to be lucky enough to find one that the store got in. If you are wanting to buy that size online, I'm not sure anyone sells them that large.
Hope this answers your question :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:34 pm

All of my crabs have come from PetSmart and the biggest I've ever seen there in the 6+ years I've been crabbing was a large PP. I've recently learned from a local HCA member's post that a specialty pet store in our area (Phoenix, AZ) can place special orders for a particular species of hermit crab and, I suppose, can search for a certain size as well. Are there any pet shops in your area that specialize in exotics or reptiles that might be able to do a search or special order for you?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 am

Unless you're adopting a crab who has grown to that size in captivity, I personally don't recommend it. All of my Jumbo crabs that I bought as Jumbos (I've had like 8 over the last five years) have died, while all the smaller crabs who have grown to that size with me or with previous owners are still going strong. The big guys just can't seem to make the adjustment into captivity. :(
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
birdbaby19

Post by birdbaby19 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Thank you for the answers! I did recently buy 2 jumbos online. Well see how I goes.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:39 am

wodesorel wrote:Unless you're adopting a crab who has grown to that size in captivity, I personally don't recommend it. All of my Jumbo crabs that I bought as Jumbos (I've had like 8 over the last five years) have died, while all the smaller crabs who have grown to that size with me or with previous owners are still going strong. The big guys just can't seem to make the adjustment into captivity. :(
I second this. I've only owned one purchased jumbo but I've seen a lot of sad stories on here about others.