Soon to be owner, with some questions.

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Drakezilla

Re: Soon to be owner, with some questions.

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:56 pm

I agree! You're going to make a great owner! When I got mine years ago I got information...but it was really poor and out of date and the whole thing was a disaster. Dx
The HCA is super special because you can't find more up to date information or nicer crabbers than them! It's a really amazing resource to have! 8D trust me, I swear by these guys. You're in great hands! Welcome!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Topic author
ViiT

Post by ViiT » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I just made some insulation for the UTH and made climbing pillars from Coconut Fiber sheets and zip ties. Getting vines and such tomorrow.

In other news, I'm getting the hermit crabs tomorrow :D

Plenty of pictures to come.
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 pm

Congrats on the crabs!
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
ViiT

Post by ViiT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Ended up getting 4, one was very small and is obviously going to molt soon.

Pics coming tomorrow :)
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Yay!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:03 am

Welcome & Happy Birthday! My two cents...I'd ditch the sponges and go with moss which they will love. Also there is no need to "bathe" a hermit crab. Just make sure their salt and fresh water bowls are deep enough for the largest crab to submerge and they will take care of adjusting their shell water all by themselves. Bathing can be very stressful especially to new crabs and it's unnecessary except in instances of for example adding a new crab or placing a crab that was in ISO back into the main tank. Even then a fresh water bath is good enough, no slime coat needed. Watch that hanging a background (coconut fiber) doesn't hinder the effectiveness of the UTH. I agree that fake plants are awesome. You don't have to use the ones from pet stores. Many people get them at a craft store or even dollar stores. I have false bottoms in all my tanks except the 10g isos. They do protect from floods but also from over misting if that's the method used to keep the humidity up. As long as you are aware of the consistency of the substrate from top to bottom it should be ok. Don't underestimate crabs though, they can knock over the heaviest bowl or dig around it and tip it. Very creative mischievous creatures. You'll probably need to upgrade soon with 4 crabs in a 10g. That's very tight unless they're very teeny tiny. Crabs are used to walking miles upon miles every day and being cramped is no fun for a crab.
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 pm

mom23 wrote:Welcome & Happy Birthday! My two cents...I'd ditch the sponges and go with moss which they will love. Also there is no need to "bathe" a hermit crab. Just make sure their salt and fresh water bowls are deep enough for the largest crab to submerge and they will take care of adjusting their shell water all by themselves. Bathing can be very stressful especially to new crabs and it's unnecessary except in instances of for example adding a new crab or placing a crab that was in ISO back into the main tank. Even then a fresh water bath is good enough, no slime coat needed. Watch that hanging a background (coconut fiber) doesn't hinder the effectiveness of the UTH. I agree that fake plants are awesome. You don't have to use the ones from pet stores. Many people get them at a craft store or even dollar stores. I have false bottoms in all my tanks except the 10g isos. They do protect from floods but also from over misting if that's the method used to keep the humidity up. As long as you are aware of the consistency of the substrate from top to bottom it should be ok. Don't underestimate crabs though, they can knock over the heaviest bowl or dig around it and tip it. Very creative mischievous creatures. You'll probably need to upgrade soon with 4 crabs in a 10g. That's very tight unless they're very teeny tiny. Crabs are used to walking miles upon miles every day and being cramped is no fun for a crab.
I agree 100%! take her advice :wink:
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

mom23

Post by mom23 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:25 pm

I learned some of these things the hard way :/ and some just from experience and most everything from the awesome people at HCA! :)
It's a full house now! 8 straws, 7 pp, 5 indos, 5 ruggies, 3 violas, 4 fish, 1 dog, 3 kids, 1 husband and me!

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 pm

I can also back that

Topic author
ViiT

Post by ViiT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:42 pm

mom23 wrote:Welcome & Happy Birthday! My two cents...I'd ditch the sponges and go with moss which they will love. Also there is no need to "bathe" a hermit crab. Just make sure their salt and fresh water bowls are deep enough for the largest crab to submerge and they will take care of adjusting their shell water all by themselves. Bathing can be very stressful especially to new crabs and it's unnecessary except in instances of for example adding a new crab or placing a crab that was in ISO back into the main tank. Even then a fresh water bath is good enough, no slime coat needed. Watch that hanging a background (coconut fiber) doesn't hinder the effectiveness of the UTH. I agree that fake plants are awesome. You don't have to use the ones from pet stores. Many people get them at a craft store or even dollar stores. I have false bottoms in all my tanks except the 10g isos. They do protect from floods but also from over misting if that's the method used to keep the humidity up. As long as you are aware of the consistency of the substrate from top to bottom it should be ok. Don't underestimate crabs though, they can knock over the heaviest bowl or dig around it and tip it. Very creative mischievous creatures. You'll probably need to upgrade soon with 4 crabs in a 10g. That's very tight unless they're very teeny tiny. Crabs are used to walking miles upon miles every day and being cramped is no fun for a crab.
Thanks for the advice! I already planned on the bathing being only for fights and returns from ISO. I realize that 10g is kind of tight, so I hung the vines and various other decorations in a way that maximizes the surface area that they can walk on. They appear to be enjoying it. I hope to eventually upgrade to a 29g or 40g anyway. I thought of the UTH issue and decided not to hang the cocofiber mat, but instead opted to create pillars by cutting sheets and tying them with zip ties. As for moss, they'll get that in the summer since I go to the Poconos for vacation, which has plenty of pesticide-free pillow moss :)

By the way, the crabs appear to be doing well so far! Heisenberg (M) and Schrodinger (F) are inseparable and constantly changing shells, Tarquin (M) is in love with the heater, and Tesla (F) (The tiny one) is an amazing climber.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 pm

ViiT wrote:I'm going to be getting 3 PPs in about a week for my birthday. I've been researching hermit crabs and how to take care of them for around a month now. Around a week ago, I purchased a tank and various supplies. They've been set up and the temperature/humidity are a stable 80/80. I've compiled a list of the supplies that I've already acquired:

-10 Gallon Tank (Main, will eventually be upgrading if all goes well)
-5 Gallon Tank (ISO)
-EcoEarth (Plently left for replacement)
-Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer
-Water/Food Dishes
-Prime water conditioner
-Instant Ocean salt
-API Slimecoat (Bathing)
-Climbing equipment
-Hiding equipment
-Misting Bottle
-Ultratherm UTH (For main tank)
-All Living Things UTH (For ISO)
-Food (Shrimp, Cuttlebone, Honey, various fruits/vegetables)
-Sea Sponges
-Extra Shells
-Isopods

Is there anything else that I'll need?

Also, if you're wondering, I've already decided on names.
-Heisenberg (Created Quantum Uncertainty Principle. The crab can be considered both inside its shell and outside its shell until observed.)
-Schrodinger (Explained Quantum Uncertainty Principle, same as above.)
-Tarquin F'tang F'tang Olé Biscuitbarrel (Tarquin for short, reference to a Monty Python skit.)

Anyway, comment with anything else I need, advice, or just anything in general :)
My undergrad degree is in psychology. Those names rock. We had to study them in my classes as well.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
ViiT

Post by ViiT » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:52 pm

Pictures are up :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101662

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:30 pm

love the pictures, congratulations on the hermit crabs,& happy birthday

Sent from my HTC EVO, using tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..