How to add an addition to the crab family

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Krusty2015

How to add an addition to the crab family

Post by Krusty2015 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:10 pm

I am wanting to add another crab to my crabitat. I currently only have one and he is molting but should be back up any day now. He is a ping pong sized pp so from a chart I saw it could be 4 to 6 weeks. So I was wanting to get him a friend once he comes up. I don't really want to get one from a pet store but don't know how to aquire him a friend otherwise. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Re: How to add an addition to the crab family

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:19 pm

The best option is, of course, adopting a crab that already lives with someone so you're not encouraging further harvesting from the wild. Another plus in adopting a pre-owned crab is that it has had a chance to settle into captive living and therefore may be less prone to PPS.

Check out HCA's Adoptions section to see if anyone in your area is offering crabs for rehoming; you can also post there that you are looking to adopt -- just follow the guidelines as to what info you'll need to include.

Also consider craigslist: many of the hermit crabs posted there are owned by folks who haven't a clue as to proper care (just look at the pictures they post of their crabitats!) so you'd be doing the crabs a real service by adopting them. The two PPs I got from craigslist last November were in sorry shape -- living in a shallow open container with a pebble and soil substrate and one had a painted shell that was badly damaged when the one of the owners' dogs grabbed him and bit off his BP -- but they bounced back very quickly and are thriving. A funny aside: the crab that had been in the dog-mauled shell is my extremely feisty crab, Mr Pinch...guess if you'd been crunched by a large dog, you'd retain a bit of attitude, too!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster