Tank size and number of crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Tnguo

Tank size and number of crabs

Post by Tnguo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:04 am

Hi, everyone, I am a new owner and have been reading through a lot of posts on HCA and also HCO's Facebook page. I noticed a discrepancy between recommended tank sizes + number of crabs on HCA and HCO, and wanted to know from experienced HCA crabbers what they feel is best. HCO appears to be more conservative with tank size:number of crabs compared to HCA, and this discrepancy cost me an adoption recently, so I'd like to know if I really am not being a good crab owner, or if my thinking is reasonable.

I currently have 1 medium PP and 2 small PPs molting in a 10 gallon, and recently bought a 29 gallon to move them into when they are done. According to HCA's guidelines, this should be more than enough. JediMasterThrash's link on tank size even says more can be added given certain conditions are met, like lots of hides and a second level. I had been planning to add a second level (which I did not mention to the person adopting out the crabs, but if she doesn't frequent HCA it probably wouldn't have meant anything to her anyway), which would add even more room for them. I had been fine with keeping just 3 crabs in the 29G, but with HCA implying that 1-2 more should be fine, and seeing a lot of senior HCA crabbers raising crabs in what HCO would consider crowded conditions (and appearing to be fine), I figured I was okay.

I found a potential adopter in HCO, but after telling her my tank specs, she said it was not enough room, and that each crab (according to HCO guidelines, required 5-9 gallons of space). So I'm feeling like a pretty bad crabbie parent and would appreciate some guidance.

CallaLily

Re: Tank size and number of crabs

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:01 am

You'll get different answers on different crab communities and even among individual crabbers in the same group. Basically, read as much as you can and use your own good judgment. ;)

I personally feel you could have 2 more smaller crabs in a 29 gallon. Especially if they're all PPs. Of course, as they grow they will need more room. Good luck. :)

Topic author
Tnguo

Re: Tank size and number of crabs

Post by Tnguo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks, CallaLily. I figured 2 more small-medium PPs max, and in a few years I'll upgrade to a larger tank. I guess I can only tell myself that the person adopting out was looking for a particular person and I just wasn't it. No matter how much I read it stills stings when someone implies you're not doing the best you can for your crabs. Thanks for the reply, it was very helpful.