Questions to ask when adopting from Craigslist?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
hprmom

Re: Questions to ask when adopting from Craigslist?

Post by hprmom » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Since all but one are down in our 10 and 20 gallon tanks, I've delayed purchasing what will eventually be their combined home (looks like I am unintentionally going to manage them all through first molts in their own tanks). I'm glad for the delay, though, because I'm re-evaluating where I'm headed in terms of how big our next tank needs to be. I was originally planning for a 35 gallon cube (20") or a custom 42 gallon (30x18x18). Clearly I can't resist looking at Craigslist... so I need to plan for a little more room than I originally was. Question, and here I'm asking for your personal opinion because I've already read all the "crabs per tank" guidelines and articles: how many would you consider max for a 30x18x18 (42g)? Or a 40 breeder or 50 (same footprint but an inch or two taller)? My hesitation on the latest Craigslist crabs is size, they look to be medium or larger, and with my current five mediums I could run out of room fast as they grow. This seems to be a popular size, I never see any crabs smaller than medium for adoption or for sale at local pet stores.

I don't know how you vet potential adopters, but I'm going to pm you information from a "crabs wanted" Craigslisting in Ocala, perhaps she would be a good candidate for a Florida adopter. There's a self-advertised rescuer in Tampa, too, but that listing expired and I didn't copy down her info.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:01 am

By today's standards it would be considered overcrowding, but historically 8 crabs in a 40 breeder is the max and worked out well.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Go for the biggest tank you can afford and fit. Length x width is most important to consider. Height is good -you need enough for deep substrate and climbing room- but imo that footprint is most important.

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:43 am

What is a footprint? I've seen this meantioned a few times and as a newbie, I'm lost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:34 am

AleyedtoBuggie wrote:What is a footprint? I've seen this meantioned a few times and as a newbie, I'm lost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

the footprint is the length and width of the tank, or the surface area. The footprint is very important, because this is where the crabs live and bury underground. So height is great, for climbing and such, but the footprint is most important, so you know how much space you have for your crabs to safely molt and not be overcrowded.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1