Hermit friends

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
anann

Hermit friends

Post by anann » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:18 pm

I know hermits like to have friends and I am planning to get more, but I'm wondering about timing. I adopted a single crab from someone with a 10 gallon tank. This is a very active crab and defiantly needs a larger tank, and in couple weeks I am going to adopt four more crabs in a 55 gallon tank. Is this crab ok alone for the intermediate time?

soilentgringa

Re: Hermit friends

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:30 pm

anann wrote:I know hermits like to have friends and I am planning to get more, but I'm wondering about timing. I adopted a single crab from someone with a 10 gallon tank. This is a very active crab and defiantly needs a larger tank, and in couple weeks I am going to adopt four more crabs in a 55 gallon tank. Is this crab ok alone for the intermediate time?
Hi and welcome. Why don't you read through the care guides and make sure you have everything you need before adding any more crabs?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:32 pm

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457

Here is the link to the care guides. :)

Topic author
anann

Post by anann » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:56 am

That may have been my first post, but I have been lurking and reading for a couple years so I am familiar with the care sheets and such on this site. I don't have everything perfectly set up yet because I've been working on finding a larger tank for this crab, and it would probably be best not to crowd the 10 gallon but I know crabs shouldn't be kept alone hence my question. My environment has been good between 80 - 85% rh and a steady 80 degrees. I have been feeding a mixture of fresh foods and dried. The previous owner had this crab in the 10 g for however long she had it and I want to do better by this crabby, especially since it is very active and I think a medium sized crab who just seems to be too big for this tank.

So will my crabby be ok alone for a couple more weeks when I can get the larger tank and a few friends that will come with the tank?

mool

Post by mool » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:06 am

I think you crab will be fine for a few more weeks.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Since he's been alone this long, I doubt a few weeks will affect him.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Rnlauren428

Post by Rnlauren428 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:37 am

I agree, and think he will be just fine for the time being.