Tank move

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MgnB

Tank move

Post by MgnB » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a huge task ahead of me. I have a 270 gallon tank with 12 pps in it. I sold my house and bought a new one. We are moving the weekend of July 8th. What are your suggestions on preparing them for the move. Obviously the tank weighs a thousand lbs. I have an empty 55, 29 and 10 gallon tanks. I assume I'll be transferring them to those as they come up. What if they don't come up? The tank alone weighs 400lbs. I'll have to remove the sand as well. Any ideas? Thanks everyone

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Tank move

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi! Go to Walmart and get some plastic totes. Put enough substrate in them (make it to where you can comfortably carry them) and use those for temporary habitats and to move the crabs in. You can either hold them while riding in the car or put them in a back floorboard or between a couple of kids in the backseat. You could probably move all 12 in one large tote.
Then break down the tank and use totes to put substrate in. As long as your sub isn't funky you can still use it.
Then the tank can be moved while empty.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:49 pm

If you run across any molters you can isolate them in tupperware containers with damp moss and their exoskeletons. I wouldn't try to move them in the smaller tanks at all. Totes are shatterproof, portable, and if you have to take them into a hotel room or someone's house on the way to your new place it is fairly easy.

Topic author
MgnB

Post by MgnB » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Thank you. I've heard people use totes but I didn't think about it.

Topic author
MgnB

Post by MgnB » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 pm

Quick update. I have 10 of my crabs in totes. I'm only missing 2. Now the fun part starts to have to go find them. I'm really scared I don't want to find them with gel limbs

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:26 am

MgnB wrote:Quick update. I have 10 of my crabs in totes. I'm only missing 2. Now the fun part starts to have to go find them. I'm really scared I don't want to find them with gel limbs

Are you talking about finding soft molters or finding crabs who have lost legs and are regrowing them?

Best of luck!

Topic author
MgnB

Post by MgnB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:03 am

I was able to remove all crabs. It's been a week and they are doing great.