Need veterans with exotic crabs!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Need veterans with exotic crabs!

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:31 pm

Okaayyyy, so i wrote the hca fb page (idk who runs it) to put in my info as a willing adopter of straws. I had a quick response back politely letting me know it was not very likely in the circumstances. My friend who i started crabbing a VERY long time ago, is willing to let me adopt a cluster of exotics for a pretty handsome adoption fee. She is down sizing for various reasons and the crabs are in very well condition. I KNOW there will be a lot of changes to be made for exotics and would love suggestions.

This is what is up for grabs....
-Ruggies
-Violas
-Straws
-E's

I know E's can be picky and even aggressive. Straws rely more on SW than any other species. Ruggies need special attention to heat and humidity etc. I guess my main question is what do you exotic keepers prefer? Why do you prefer them? I dont want to spend a lot of money and then regret the decision!

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Need veterans with exotic crabs!

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:44 am

I run the HCA FB page, well I admin it and handle adoptions and am usually the one responding to messages 24/7.
Last edited by soilentgringa on Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:50 am

Many veteran crabbers, with more experience than I (two years of crabbing with actual decent conditions-had crabs off and on in high school and my early 20's, 10 years ago) don't feel that they aren't ready for exotics. They seem to be more delicate and sensitive to changes in conditions or environment, and many people with straws aren't able to keep them alive more than a few years. I think the oldest straw a member has is 7?

With that said, if your friend is willing to offer guidance and advice on how to care for them and has the appropriate setups; I don't see why you couldn't take them. We are all here to help you and if your friend is able to as well, you should be fine.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:52 am

And we almost NEVER see exotics in adoptions. In 2 years here at HCA and 1 of helping admin the FB page and with adoptions, I've seen less than a handful of owners with exotic crabs. The previous adoption coordinator said they're like the unicorns of the crabbing community.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:05 am

Well we have been bff for a looooong time in fact i started her crabbing in 2010. Which involved us practically living with each other so I've helped her and been there with her emergencies. I've seen allot first hand. One thing you said does worry me she got her straws about a year after i got her crabbing so that makes them at least 5... Id hate to buy them and soon after they die :(
Do you have more than E's??? Have you had problems with them?

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 am

She has a pretty good set up and they've all Molted a million times. The only problem with molting weve ever had was one surface molt in a ruggie, which was odd. All the temps and humidity etc is perfect and she has 13 in of sub.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:39 am

This has me really curious though, was your friend ever a member here?

I have never had problems with my E's. There were originally 4; my friend had 2 in her tank and I had 2 in mine, at our respective apartments, but one of hers died so she brought the survivor to live with me. They're currently running around in a mixed group of PP's and have doubled in size since we got them back in November/December of 2015.

I have never once seen any aggressive behaviors with the exception of shell squabbling when we first got them because 2 had broken nerites on. We got them into a tank full of babylons and picked up some premodified shells from Wode and they haven't had a problem since.

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:06 pm

She sells premodified shell's???
She's read around on here and other forums (shes about 50 and isn't very good with technology). I met her in a pet store looking for hermit crab stuff and she was just lost... Been friends ever since! She's not doing to well health wise and is down sizing.
That's good to know about the E's. I was kinda put off by them cause i read in the care guide that they are known to dig up Molters. It's good to know that's not always the case!

mool

Post by mool » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:30 am

I hear Straws require a very large tank. Most Straw owners suggest 90 gallons as the minimum size. Do you have a tank that is at least 90 gallons or do you have the funds and room to set one up? That would be my first priority if I were in your position.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:02 am

Remember that every crab has their own personality! I remember someone from a few years back that had a killer PP, any crab that came into contact was gone. Considering that you guys say that PP's do nothing but sleep all day and so sedate, its hard to imagine the opposite. :) So you may get a good bunch of crab, may get a bad bunch. Whatever you do, prepare for the worst and have backups incase things go wrong.

I personally would go with E's or viola's, may on here said that viola's are a great "hardy" crab and from what I can tell have little problems - besides their shell choices.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:07 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Remember that every crab has their own personality! I remember someone from a few years back that had a killer PP, any crab that came into contact was gone. Considering that you guys say that PP's do nothing but sleep all day and so sedate, its hard to imagine the opposite. :) So you may get a good bunch of crab, may get a bad bunch. Whatever you do, prepare for the worst and have backups incase things go wrong.

I personally would go with E's or viola's, may on here said that viola's are a great "hardy" crab and from what I can tell have little problems - besides their shell choices.
Are violas typically more active? Why do u prefer them? Also, have u known E's to be aggressive?

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 am

mool wrote:I hear Straws require a very large tank. Most Straw owners suggest 90 gallons as the minimum size. Do you have a tank that is at least 90 gallons or do you have the funds and room to set one up? That would be my first priority if I were in your position.
Ive got a 55 gal right now. Adjustments are a definite part of this. Also, this is not something. Im rushing into my friend will keep them for me as long as i need her to. I'm putting a looooot of money [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR] into this! So there will be a lot of consideration from all angles if i can narrow down to which species i want! Im starting to shy away from straws because i hear they are the shortest lived of all the crabs! These are already pretty old my friend has had them a long time!

Topic author
KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 am

mool wrote:I hear Straws require a very large tank. Most Straw owners suggest 90 gallons as the minimum size. Do you have a tank that is at least 90 gallons or do you have the funds and room to set one up? That would be my first priority if I were in your position.
Ive got a 55 gal right now. Adjustments are a definite part of this. Also, this is not something. Im rushing into my friend will keep them for me as long as i need her to. I'm putting a looooot of money [FACE SCREAMING IN FEAR] into this! So there will be a lot of consideration from all angles if i can narrow down to which species i want! Im starting to shy away from straws because i hear they are the shortest lived of all the crabs! These are already pretty old my friend has had them a long time!

mool

Post by mool » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Sounds like you are doing a lot of pre-planning. That's a good thing! Good luck whatever you decide to do, it should be an exciting journey.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 am

KayedeeLove<3 wrote: Are violas typically more active? Why do u prefer them? Also, have u known E's to be aggressive?
I'm parroting everyone else, I can't offer much in the terms of species care besides aussies. From what people say, viola's aren't as active as an E is but way more out there then a PP. I still think that they more of a nocturnal species, but who knows?
I pretty much just like violas as they so pretty, plus I haven't heard much complaints about them. Figured they would be a good choice, the lesser amount of a bad reviews the better I guess?
E's are like the rotten apple, most of the apples (E's) in the barrel are fine except the one or two (E's) thats gone bad. Its just turning not to get the rotten ones. From what has happened, they seem to go after other crabs for shells and maybe food. So loading up the tank with loads of suitable shells in which they can swap in to is a good choice - remember they prefer D-shaped shells - and try giving your crabs loads of protein, calcium and exo/muscle strenghtening goodies.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies