Soon to be PP owner

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
turtlegirl95

Soon to be PP owner

Post by turtlegirl95 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:07 am

I am planning on getting three PP's. I got a 20 gallon long and have just about everything I need and I am so excited. I have been on here for a couple weeks and have been reading everything I can! I made a deal with my parent back August if I got a 3.5 or better I could get hermit crabs to live with me in my apartment and I did, so next week when I head back up for spring semester I am going to get them. I started researching back in September and I feel ready to welcome them into my home. Almost all of my Christmas presents was stuff I asked for for the hermit crabs. `I picked u a few more things today at Walmart and the pet store where I work and I just need a couple more things. I posted pictures of everything I have under the picture forum so i'll just post one pic here. I am so excited to be able to share and learn from everyone on here.
Heart owned by Gracie (9 Year old yorkiepoo), Charlie (16 year old American Shorthair) and soon to be three PP's.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Soon to be PP owner

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:43 am

Welcome to HCA. Hope you like it here.
I can see that you're very familiar with the resources available, as the tank is coming along nicely! Even without the sub and it being properly set up I can tell that its going to look amazing... and the crabs are going to have fun destroying it! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:45 am

You will want to get just regular play sand, that kind of sand inn the picture will harm your crabs. Or you could get eco earth to add to the play sand or to use all by itself. But that kind is no good. A lot of the things made for Hermits is actually harmful to them

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:11 am

Looking good! I second kieagcarm. Play sand is best and can be found at any hardware store for little to nothing. Some use straight sand, some 5:1 mix (sand:ee), and others straight ee. It's a personal preference....

Shells - I think I replied in your other topic. You'll want at least 4 per crab ranging in sizes. More is better. Sea Shell city and Naples are good places to order. Some get mixed bagged shells from JoAnne's, also for little to nothing.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:17 am

O! Forgot to mention gauges. I didn't see any here or with other pic heavy post. Try to get digital. They're more accurate.

Topic author
turtlegirl95

Post by turtlegirl95 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks everyone for the help.
As far as the sand I wont be using the smaller bag pictured but I am planning on using the one called hermit crab beach as it is simply a mixture of coco fiber and sand. I will get play sand eventually when I move them into my apartment and can figure out where to store a bag of it since my space is limited.
The gauges are one thing I forgot to grab when I did my last shopping trip along with a light bulb and sand scoop.
I have a couple questions, I read that hermits can have calcium in their food but it has to be plain. Most reptile ones have D3 in them, what is the reason that hermits need the plain over this?
Where can I find a good digital gauge? I looked on amazon and did not find any that looked like a good quality and I can't find digital ones in reptile sections.
Again thanks for all the tips, i'll post updated pictures when I get then in a couple weeks.
Heart owned by Gracie (9 Year old yorkiepoo), Charlie (16 year old American Shorthair) and soon to be three PP's.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Hardware stores or Walmart are a good bet for hygro/thermo gauges. Usually under ten dollars.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:07 pm

This is an interesting conversation about vitamine D from a few years ago that I've slowly been making my way through. A lot of what we read, even on this site, is speculative because there isn't the vast scientific knowledge about crab physiology that there is for vertibrates. Heck, crab veterinary science is non-existent.

All we can do is pool our experiences and hopefully figure out what seems to work for these little guys. :dunno:

Link: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=94449
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

Topic author
turtlegirl95

Post by turtlegirl95 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:24 pm

thanks for the link about the vitamin D that was really interesting. I am loving all of the stuff I am learning. Ill have to go by home depot tomorrow and look for a digital gauge I had not thought of that.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:08 pm

I use cuttlebones from bird section as calcium supplement...

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I use a combination of cuttlebone and eggshell.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm a fan of crushed oyster shell, available in the bird section of many pet stores.