Question

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Spunky

Question

Post by Spunky » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:50 pm

I have a purple pincher hermit crab named spunky I had him or her sense July 2016 you see spunky is missing an eye and a claw but that's not the problem. The problem is that spunky hasn't moved out of its shell or molted for as long as I known it and he's way too big for the shell he's in is this normal behavior for one or is something wrong

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Hello. Welcome to the HCA! The fact that your hermit is missing an eye is not a problem. The hermit can grow it back with some molts if the tank conditions and food/water conditions are proper. Please fill out this template for us so that we can help you. PP's have shells that they like. Make sure you provide several shells for him/her to choose. Boil them in dechlorinated fresh water, and then dip them in dechlorinated marine salt water to encourage your hermit to check them out.
Help template to fill out for us: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 27&t=46102
Shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Spunky

Post by Spunky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 am

1. I have sand box sand that's all I can afford at the time
2. No but I do have a temperature gauge it read around 72 to 75 degrees f.
3. No I've been saving for one though
4. As of now salt the store was out of fresh other wise I get that or both
5. Since spunky has a missing claw at this point I've been giving him/her hermit crab meal from tetra fauna some pellets from zoo med and some sort of fruit usually I give it half a grape
6. I've had spunky since July 23 2016 it's a purple pincher
7.as of now no
8. I think it's a 22gal reptile aquarium with no lid
9. There are 2 crabs the don't get along with each other so I hav a diver between them spunky is about the size of a ping pong ball and the other one is half the size of spunky
10. I have 3 on both sides
11. No
12. About once a month I replace the sand after going over the glass with a wet paper towel
13. No
14 no
15 I let spunky and the other out one a day they have a climbing toys in the tank to keep them active.i got spunky at the fair I'm really surprised he's still alive since it was a hot day that day and the tank was filled with at least 20 hermit crabs in a 5gal.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:39 am

Spunky wrote:1. I have sand box sand that's all I can afford at the time

GB: That is fine. Many people use just sand. Make sure it is three times deeper than your largest crab, and that it is sand castle consistency. You can moisten it with either dechlorinated freshwater or dechlorinated marine salt water. I personally prefer msw.

2. No but I do have a temperature gauge it read around 72 to 75 degrees f.

GB: Your temp is way too low. They can survive in those temps, but barely. Thriving is a minimum of 80 degrees. Try to get your temperature up. You also need humidity. Hermit crabs have modified gills and need humidity to breathe. This is very important. You can create humidity by having water bowls (tupperware containers) that they crabbies can submerge in/and get out of safely with air bubblers in them, moss pits, glass top for your tank. Eco Earth (ee) will also help retain moister for humidity.
Link on humidity: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92544

3. No I've been saving for one though

GB: I'm not sure what the question is - but I think it relates to heat. You need to try to get a heater asap. UTH (under the tank heater) can be purchased, or you can use lights.
Link on lights: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92543

4. As of now salt the store was out of fresh other wise I get that or both

GB: All you need is marine salt water. NOT aquarium salt. You need a product called instant ocean. It is used to mimic salt water to have a salt water fish tank. Then, you need to purchase a product called Prime. It is a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and other harmful toxins from water that can burn the hermit crabs modified gills.
Link on water: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553

5. Since spunky has a missing claw at this point I've been giving him/her hermit crab meal from tetra fauna some pellets from zoo med and some sort of fruit usually I give it half a grape

GB: Your hermit crab needs fresh foods. Believe it or not, most of the products on the market that are labeled for hermit crabs are NOT safe for them.
Here is a list of safe foods to feed: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe foods: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Commercial foods: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92555

6. I've had spunky since July 23 2016 it's a purple pincher

GB: PP care sheet: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92452
Hermit basic crab care sheet: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92457

7.as of now no

8. I think it's a 22gal reptile aquarium with no lid

GB: You need a lid to trap humidity and heat. In the meantime, use plastic wrap or press and seal. Spritz the tank with dechlorinated fresh water to give them some humidity.

9. There are 2 crabs the don't get along with each other so I hav a diver between them spunky is about the size of a ping pong ball and the other one is half the size of spunky

GB: Why do you say they don't get along? You shouldn't have to divide them.

10. I have 3 on both sides

GB: HCA recommends 3-4 shells for each crabbie, but I recommend more. Here is the shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

11. No

12. About once a month I replace the sand after going over the glass with a wet paper towel

GB: Not necessary to replace the sand. Just scoop the poop.

13. No

14 no

15 I let spunky and the other out one a day they have a climbing toys in the tank to keep them active.i got spunky at the fair I'm really surprised he's still alive since it was a hot day that day and the tank was filled with at least 20 hermit crabs in a 5gal.

GB: Hermit crabs are prey animals. imho, they shouldn't be handled, but to each's own. I'm glad that you have climbing toys in th there! They love to climb and hide.
Okay, I replied with GB for GotButterflies :butterfly:: I know all of this can be extremely overwhelming, as nobody has properly educated you. It is very important to get them heat and humidity ASAP - especially if you want them to survive. Good luck! Let us know if we can be of further assistance :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermitguy

Post by Hermitguy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:46 am

Hi. Thank you for educating yourself on these great animals. There is so much more to them than anyone could imagine, so cutos to you! :D Ok, so playsand is perfectly find I'd maybe grab a brick or two of Eco Earth and mix it up (helps emensly with holding the heat/humidity).. Ofcourse a solid lid is very much nesecerry to ensure heat/humidity doesn't escape... and your hermits. :) Moss also works wonders for maintaining humidty (make yourself a moss pit). Another thing to be aware of is that hermit crabs can take a couple months to molt so you dont want to sturr up his environment by changing sand so often (maybe once a year if no issues). My PPs seem to really enjoy when my heats at 80-85° while my humidity at 70-75%..seem to be much more active.. I have atleast 5 shells per hermit and quit often I see them trying on potential new ones. The biggest issue I personally detect is the food; pellets..yuck.. No good, waaaaay too many preservatives; chemicals. I'd suggest fruits..veggies..fresh fish/meats...check out the food section for sure. Believe me I as most people have made these same errors and I can remeber when I use to think they enjoyed when I played with them..these days I have a more of a hand off method with mine; they are wild caught & very much a pray animal so reducing stress in any way is best. Good luck..its fun creating an environment that not only looks cool but one that you know there prospering in as well.

mool

Post by mool » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:53 am

Oh dear. As GB and hermitguy have both pointed out, you have a lot of work to do right away if you want your crabs to live.

They are very stressed and fragile right now.

Is the sand play sand like you get at a hardware store in 50lb bags? Or is it sand you get at the pet store? Also, is the sand wet? and is it deep?

Crabs need wet play sand that is deep enough for them to bury and have lots of sand above them--just like they would at the beach. Play sand is cheap and a tiny bottle of dechlorinator is cheap too. If you can wet down a 50lb bag of play sand with declorinated warm tap water that will provide both instant humidity and heat for your crabs. This should cost you way less than $10.00.

If you can't do that...today, it might be best to rehome them and educate yourself on proper care if you are still interested in getting more crabs in the future.

This isn't your fault, no one told you. BUT, your crabs have been neglected since before you go them and they need a lot of improvements right away or they will die.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but since you came on here asking questions I figured you would want to know the truth.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do. We are here to help no matter what direction you choose to go.

Hermitguy

Post by Hermitguy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:11 am

Yes, I almost forgot..sand castle consistency is a good way to refer to it. The sand should be damp enough to make a sand castle. PPs are more of chill on the forest ground/up in the trees and I truly belive adding that EE makes it as close to home as it gets. :banana:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 am

Definitely make sure it is not calcium sand - that will harden when wet.