Help with ID?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Help with ID?

Post by DreaminginBlue » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm pretty sure Apollo is an Ecuadorian, but I wanted to double check with all you crab experts. My other crabbie, Pluto, looks exactly the same, but he's molting right now so I can't get a photo.
Apollo (little goofball) is almost always climbing, so getting a picture is tricky. Luckily he was lounging on top of his coconut hut so I could snap a photo. I can't wait to (hopefully) upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder so he'll have more stuff to climb! Despite having the picture, I am unable to upload it because I have no clue how... :?
Also, what advice/tips do you have on caring for Ecuadorians (if he is, in fact, an Ecuadorian)? I've read that they really enjoy fruits, so how do you suggest I get him to eat other foods? He loves oatmeal, honey, pears, and bananas, but I haven't seen him get as excited about much else.
Thanks!
:crabbigsmile:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help with ID?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 pm

To upload a picture if you have a smartphone download Tapatalk :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Okay, I don't have my phone right now (it's broken) but I have my computer? Is there any other way to get a photo up?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:47 am

You would need to use another web server to link the pictures. :) Like fliker, google images, etc.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Okay, I'll try as soon as I can. Thanks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:09 pm

Yw! :)

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:55 pm

The little goofball loves hanging out on and in his coconut hut. He's silly and adventurous and loves to explore everything in the crabitat. He climbs over and on everything, even up the airline tubing... :lol:

However, he doesn't seem too keen on shell shopping. I've been trying to give him as many options as I can in hopes that he'll change out of the infernal painted shell he came in, but so far he hasn't found anything suitable. I'm considering ordering some Babylon shells for him to check out, seeing as I can't find any anywhere.

Anyways, I hope these pictures are clear enough. I just need help confirming if he is an Equadorian.
Thanks!
:crabbigsmile:
Last edited by DreaminginBlue on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Congratulations...you have an Ecuadorian! :)

Edit: Eccies are VERY picky about shells. They hold their abdomens close to them, so if they have a modified shell, they stick with it as long as they can. They prefer "D" type opening shells.

Give 10-12 inches minimum substrate. These guys love to dig! Give LOTS of protein. Otherwise they can potentially dig up molters. I have 2 of these guys. :) They have great personalities.
Last edited by GotButterflies on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Agreed! Definitely an Ecuadorian!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Very cute how he hangs out on the coco hut!! :)

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks guys! As I type this he's peering at me from atop the coconut hut, he's so darn cute! :D
I'll make sure to get some shells with D shaped openings- are there any that you recommend?
Thanks again for all your help!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Yw!
Here is the shell guide - just follow that :) http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

Topic author
DreaminginBlue

Post by DreaminginBlue » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Awesome! I'll be sure to get some of those shells, then. Is Naples a good place to buy from?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 am

DreaminginBlue wrote:Awesome! I'll be sure to get some of those shells, then. Is Naples a good place to buy from?
I'm not sure about Naples, but Richard's is great. I've ordered from him twice now. I do the priority shipping, and have gotten both orders within a week! If you order from Richards (Deltona Shells), make sure you put that they are for hermit crabs. They will take special care in picking out ones without holes in them. :)

Good luck!