OUT of shell and missing limbs!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
ciaraalston

OUT of shell and missing limbs!!

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Hey y'all!

This morning before work, I happened to see Sebastian running across the front of the tank.... WITHOUT A SHELL! immediately I knew something was wrong and I needed to get him back into a shell. So I gently scooped him into a cup, added a shell, and put a towel on top. Within minutes he was back into a shell!! But I realized he's missing his big pincher and a couple legs... Someone must have been fighting last night while I was asleep! So I put him in a small ISO tote, similar to the ones I used to move. It had a couple of inches of eco earth/sand, damp moss, a shell of honey, shell of bee pollen, shell of chicken, shell of worms, some crushed calcium powder, and two small containers of fresh water and salt water. He stayed there while I was at work.

I just finished setting up the 10 gallon ISO.
There's a bowl for fresh water, a bowl for salt water, a dish of worm castings, a coconut hide (his favorite), oak bark, a climbing net, and lots of leaf litter. I've added his honey, bee pollen, worms and chicken if he's hungry. The pools don't have bubblers so I'll be doing water changes daily and misting as needed. I also need to order a heater, right now I'm using a heating pad since I had no back up heaters. He will stay here until he's healed up, molted a couple of times, and ready to rejoin his siblings!

When I was adding him to the 10 gallon, I noticed he started to regrow the pincher already!!! I didn't know it happened that fast!

Sebastian was my first hermit crab. I saw him in Biloxi MS while on vacation. He was in a small orange painted shell. He stayed in that shell, in his kritter keeper with gravel rocks as substrate and a small shell of tap water and pellet food with a desk lamp beaming down on him for light and heat for 8 months before I found the HCA. He survived all of that, and has been living luxuriously since the HCA educated me! I'm so upset this has happened, but I think he will pull through. I got him August of 2017, and he's tripled in size since I found the HCA and got his tank conditions right!

With all that said, what do y'all think? Did I miss anything??? Should I add or take out anything??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

scuttlecrusty22

Re: OUT of shell and missing limbs!!

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:56 pm

I think you are doing great at providing the proper care for your injured crab and I'm so glad he got back into his shell😄👍. The only thing I can think that still might need done is to add some fresh fruit/veggies in the iso tank.🍓❤ Your crab may be stressed. Do you handle him often? Have enough extra shells in your tank? Any observed fighting between crabs? What do your hydrometer and thermometer read?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:02 pm

At least he is re-shelled, I would continue to give him high energy foods to help him recover like you have been doing. Hopefully he will molt soon and make it through for you.

Could it have been a fight over a shell?
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

previde plenty of shells both large and small. isolate the attacker and the crab. DO NOT touch the crab. wait for him to crawl into a peice of paper and scoop him into another tank. then check for mites and orevide appropriate substrate and humidity for all tanks. heat should be from 75-85 degrees and humidity should be at 75-80 percent.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:43 pm

if that happens again, i mean.
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Purplepincher, sometimes it is necessary to gently re-shell a crab by hand.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 pm

i know. i just wouldnt want to stress it out even more.