Hermies aren’t using new pools/drinking or eating new food

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
FSkerlak

Hermies aren’t using new pools/drinking or eating new food

Post by FSkerlak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Quikrete Playsand and Eco Earth at about a 5 Playsand to 1 EE ratio. And about 6-7 inches.
It has been like that for the last 4-5 months but I just cleaned tank (with only hot water?) and replaced substrate.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, I have a cheap NON- digital one that I want to replace with a digital one, any suggestions? My temp is around 75 in winter and humidity is around 80-85%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
UTH on the back of tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt. Prime is the dechlorinator and Instant Ocean is the salt and I use ½ cup for 1 gallon of tap water. I used to use distilled water bit just switched to tap with prime because I read it was better. And I used to use a hermit crab pre-mixed salt water until the recently. (When I found this site)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I just bought the Basic Diet from The Hermit Crab Patch and give them fresh carrots, raisins, cucumbers, broccoli, cantelope, eggshells, cheddar cheese. I used to used All Living Things Powder Treat but have replaced it with THCP Basic Diet.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have 3 purple pinchers for about 4 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
1 has molted about a month ago and was underground for about 5 weeks, give or take a week.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20 gallon aquarium and a modified aquarium lid to keep in heat and humidity.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 small to small-medium? Biggest with shell is a bit smaller than a golfball.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
4 until I read this site and I have 12 of the correct type of shells on the way.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
3 months and with hot water only. Help please!

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Replaced substrate, added pools instead of water dishes and new food.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No, just thank you for helping!

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I used to use the tops of mason jars for their salt and fresh waters and food. After seeing that I needed pools that they could submerge in, I built them from Tupperware and plastic mesh canvas, like in the pics in this site, I used ramps method vs. the straight up the sides with the mesh if that matters. The Tupperware is about half full of water (they can just fully submerge their shells in the water now), and after 3 days I got worried that they were not going in or drinking so I reluctantly put them in and they were able to climb out, so I know they will not drown. But they are not using them (no sand or substrate in water). It’s like they are scared of the mesh or the ramp or something. I initially just layed the pools on the substrate and had a ramp up to the water, but now I dug the pools down flush to surface level so its easier to get in. How long can they go without drinking? And what should I do?
Also, I was hoping they were going to attack the The Hermit Crab Patch (THCP) Basic Diet, but they are walking right over it and they don’t seem to be eating it after 3 days. Im not having good luck on food. Does the Basic Diet need to be re-hydrated or something?
Thank you for all of your help!!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Hermies aren’t using new pools/drinking or eating new food

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:10 am

The therm/hygrometer that many of us use is the Acurite. Usually sold at Walmart for about $8. Or you can get it on Amazon. I have cameras in my tanks so I see what they do with the pools. Most of the time they lean over the side and "scoop" up water. Or they go down the ramp a little till they reach the tip of the water and whisk it up. Rarely do they submerge. But I have seen it. So it's always good to make it available. Did you double the pools so you don't disturb any molting crabs when you take it out to clean? And only spot cleaning the tank is neccessary. As for food, if they are alive, they are eating. They eat such small amounts it's hard to tell that they eat at all.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Thank you so much for the fast reply!!
Great, I'll get the acurite, and I LOVE the camera idea! What kind of cameras do you have in the tank???

I did double the pools so I don't disturb the molter's or diggers.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease about the eating too, thanks again for that too. But if you could definitely let me know about the cameras that would be great! Thanks again!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm

I have yet to see my purples go swimming. They usually just sit at the sides of the water dishes and dip a claw and get water that way. Maybe if you raise the water levels you will see some action.
My strawberries always seem to go swimming.

Your tank temperature is ok at 75 but my guys seem to be more active at 80 and above.

As already mentioned the Acurites are the way to go. Our Walmart no longer carries them but I pick mine up at Lowe's for around $13.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:30 pm

I will raise the water level today and I will also try for another UTH because that has been bothering me. It looks as though I'll have to go online for the Acurite but there are so many I'm not sure which to get. My Walmart and Home Depot are out of them. Any chance you can send me a pic of your Acurite? Or anybody? Also, where do you get the different species, all I see are the p.p.s. I would like a few others that were different species later on once I have everything figured out.

Thank you

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Either of these Acurites would be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humidity ... ity+sensor

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Humidity ... ity+sensor

Different species are tough to find. I have been looking for more E's for over 6 months. Everyone but me seem to find E's at random at pet shops. Petco, Petsmart, and mom and pop shops too. They usually just order hermit crabs and get what they get. My strawberries I found online back in July and made arrangements to pick them up rather than have them shipped. Straws suffer more from temperature changes than other species so I wanted to be sure I could monitor them during their 5 hour car ride. Your best bet is to scour the adoption section here and find them. I managed to adopt a straw on here a few weeks ago locally!

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'm placing the order tonight for the Acurite. I'm still new to the site and didn't even know about the adoption section here. So thank you for that too! This site is amazing.
Thank you again

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:51 pm

No problem, glad I could help. I just noticed you are from PA too. Xenocrab,LeeHasCrabs, and I all live within 20-40 minutes from Knoebels.

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Oh that's great! I'm near Philly. If you know of any strawberries that need a home, let me know, I just checked the adoption boards.