Can I add more substrate on top of crabs if they where buried in the existing substrate?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
zokirova

Can I add more substrate on top of crabs if they where buried in the existing substrate?

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am

Love all the advice I read in HCA! New to this and realized I needed more substrate for my bigger crab. I had 9 inches and just made it 10 with playsand and cocofiber. My question is in my 75 gallon tank I have not seen 2 of my little hermit crabs latley, maybe they are buried If that was the case could I kill them by adding that extra substrate?
Last edited by zokirova on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can I add more substrate on top of crabs if they where berried in the existing substrate?

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am

Not if you’re careful. A one-inch addition every twenty-four hours is usually a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
zokirova

Re: Can I add more substrate on top of crabs if they where buried in the existing substrate?

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am

Thank you! In such a big tank with so many hides I'm not sure where they are, but have not seen them for over a week. If they are dead in the substrate how would I know? One is tiny, and the other like the size of a nickel.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can I add more substrate on top of crabs if they where buried in the existing substrate?

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 am

If they’re buried you may never know. Be patient—disappearing for months on end is normal! Sometimes even small crabs may remain buried for a month or longer, it’s all up to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 pm

Very much a animal of guessing and observing, and not meddling. Thanks!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 pm

It's the hardest part of having hermit crabs for me!!! When they're all down, I'm constantly checking the tank waiting for them to come up. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 pm
It's the hardest part of having hermit crabs for me!!! When they're all down, I'm constantly checking the tank waiting for them to come up. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I have 3 of 6 up in one tank. I have no idea if the rest are alive. Unless you see them all up at once you never really know. Until you upgrade and transfer them over as they come up. It really kinda sucks.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm

I know, and then you have a few that only come up at night. One of mine is really shy. He tends to bury down during the day, and come up at night. I have only caught him in and around the tank a couple of times.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom