Why have a UVB light if hermit crabs hide all day?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
zokirova

Why have a UVB light if hermit crabs hide all day?

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm new at this and have so many questions, and love to hear from people who know what they are doing! I bought a UVB light and am wondering how it would be helpful to herrmies if they just hide all day? I never see the out in the day, and of course I turn the UVB light off at night. My question is,why bother having a UVB light if the crabbies never come out to bask in it?

ciaraalston

Re: Why have a UVB light if hermit crabs hide all day?

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:08 pm

I've seen people say they're crabs are more active with the light.
What are your heat and humidity levels? Are they new crabs? If so, they're probably adjusting. Also, purple Pinchers are less active than ecuadorian crabs. Mine come out, but not like my E. He's all over the place lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Yes they are new. The temperature is between 72-80, and the humidity is about 70-80 at substrate level. I made a 3d background for a 75 gallon tank before I knew anything about can crabs. With that said my form of heating is one small space for the UTH and 2 moonglow 60w . I have moss and a bubbler. That's another question, does one think that bubbler and the sound disrupts them? I also have another over the top hood with the UVB going. I have a metal screen top and plexiglass where the lights are not. I with I could post pictures, but the sight is not ez enough from my phone to do so. Anyway, a lot of $ and time invested all because of one big crab I took home because I felt sorry for.

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:06 pm

zokirova wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 pm
Yes they are new. The temperature is between 72-80, and the humidity is about 70-80 at substrate level. I made a 3d background for a 75 gallon tank before I knew anything about can crabs. With that said my form of heating is one small space for the UTH and 2 moonglow 60w . I have moss and a bubbler. That's another question, does one think that bubbler and the sound disrupts them? I also have another over the top hood with the UVB going. I have a metal screen top and plexiglass where the lights are not. I with I could post pictures, but the sight is not ez enough from my phone to do so. Anyway, a lot of $ and time invested all because of one big crab I took home because I felt sorry for.
They'll start coming out in the day eventually, especially if they need their vitamins. People and animals have that 'body clock' that tells them when to get what they need. Your temp. seems a bit cool, but is most likely fine.

They'll probably get used to the bubbler if you keep it on, of course you won't always have it on at the same pressure. In the wild, if they live by the ocean they have to get used to that sound! Anyways, keep your bubbler on (most of the time at least), and they should get used to it.

For both the light and bubbler, and hopefully the rest of your equipment, you should be trying to simulate their complete natural environment.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:10 pm

The actual website is a bit cumbersome on your phone. You can download the Taptalk app to make it a little easier to navigate. You can also post pictures through the app as well.

I use an UVB bulb for my Strawberries on one side of the tank. They are always out and about unless they are molting. UVB's are recommended for exocitcs but not a must have for Purples. As ciaraalston stated people did report more activity when using them. Some people also reported more vibrant colors in their crabs too.

When I first got my straws they would not go into the water. Everything I heard about them is how they love and need to fully submerge in the water. I did not have bubblers at the time. After I questioned them not swimming it was suggested to add bubblers. After I added the bubblers they started to swim, a lot. I have yet to see any of our other two dozen crabs care about the bubblers. They don't swim either way. The bubblers do help to stop the funky film from appearing on the top of the water, and help to raise the humidity too. If you don't have humidity issues or crabs that like water movement you could remove them.

I have noticed all our crabs tend to get less active when temperatures get into the mid 70's. We have seen the most activity with temperatures between 82-86. Your temperatures are perfectly fine where they are now but if you could easily bump up the temperature to the low 80's you may see more activity.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Thank you for all your help. When you indicate the temperature, where in the tank do you read the temp? At substitute level the temperature is about 75, but at the top of the tank it reads about 82. So should I have the lower level in the 80s?

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Heat rises, but that's a large margin. For more active crabs try to raise your substrate temperature. This will most likely raise your upper level temp. which is fine. All in all, raise your temperature for more active crabs.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:04 pm

The temperature will vary depending on where the gauge is inside the tank. You actually want it to be different so the crabs can move around to regulate their temperature and find warmer and cooler areas.

On occasion I will move my gauge around and see what it reads in different areas. That way I can figure out my average temperature. Once you get a few readings inside the tank you will be able to judge the temperature off one.

I have my gauge hanging in about the dead center of the 75 G tank. Its reading 86% and 84. If I move it to the very front on the substrate it will probably read 80. At the back of the tank it may read above 90 due to the heater.

Once you know how the heat flows you should be able to tell if you want to bump up your temperature.

You can also watch your crabs too. If they are always huddled next to the back of the tank or up high you can also assume they may be a bit cold and are trying to get warm. Crabs are weird and may just be doing that because their silly crabs.

Hopefully that explanation did not confuse you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Thank you, sounds like I need to bring my temp up a little.... somehow!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 pm

If it's possible for you, you can always run a second UTH on one side of the tank along with the one on the rear. I bought a $20 thermostat off Amazon. It's one the sell for growing plants, and for reptiles. They also sell them at most pet stores but will probably pay more.

There's a probe you put into the tank that's connected to the thermostat. It works similar to a light timer. Set the high temperature on the thermostat and plug the UTH into it. When the tank gets to you high temperature it turns off the UTH. Once it drops a 2-3 degrees it kicks back on. The side UTH I have plugged in without and regulator and only use that when it's colder.

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 am

Thank you. The problem is I made a big 3d backdrop with Good Stuff and styrofoam, it is beautiful with lots of hides and climbing space. Not knowing much about herrmies, and not considering UTH I only have one side to put it on. So I have one UTH and 2 moonbulbs going. I shot myself in the foot heating wise. Last night after reading the post I just bought another hood so I can run another moonglow, can't run it until I cut the plexiglass on top. I hope when I do it doesn't dry out the air too much. I wish there was a perfect set up formula, unfortunately I think it's trial and error. This community is amazing, and I'm glad to hear other people are as passionate as me with providing such a complex animal with the best home
abitat possible.....my husband thinks I'm nuts.