Hamster wheel, yes or no?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
zokirova

Hamster wheel, yes or no?

Post by zokirova » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 pm

I have a 75g set up I've done as natural as possible, live plants lots of wood, moss. Should I brake the natural habitat and get a hamster wheel? Do the little guys really like it? Thanks!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Hamster wheel, yes or no?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Definately! In the wild they walk miles every day. So a hamster wheel helps them get exercise. It takes them a while to figure it out but once they do they hardly come off. I've had crabs walking almost non stop for over 24hrs.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm

You can always blend it in with some fake plants in front of it to help hide it if you find it much of an eye sore?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

We have wheels in all of our tanks. There is rarely a time I do not have at least one guy in a wheel in my 75G. I actually added a second larger wheel in there tank so they had more room and more could use them at once.

I will have to upload the video I took of 4-5 purples trying to all go at once in the wheel, and riding the outside and inside! They are pretty comical on it!

They may not use it right away, It may take them a month to find it. Once they do depending on how many crabs you have they are almost always in it!
ImageImageImageImage
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Awesome pictures and great to know, thanks!