Tote Crabitat and Temperature

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author

Tote Crabitat and Temperature

Post by 16640701 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi All,

We have had our crabs for 7 months now and while they seem to being doing well, I would like to give them a larger crabitat. If just seems by the time I put their water dishes, food, shells and hiding place (cave) in the tank, they are always walking over things.

A larger take is really expensive - I already have over 200 sunk into these $12.00 crabs - lol, so I am looking at totes. My concern is keeping them at the right temperature. The lights used to keep the crabitat warm get quite hot. I am not sure that would work will with a plastic tote.

Is anyone using a heat lamp w/a plastic tote?

Thanks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tote Crabitat and Temperature

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Have you considered looking at garage sales, Craigslist, OfferUp, LetGo, 5miles, or Facebook Marketplace for a used tank? It doesn't have to hold water or be new. You can search Reptile, Vivarium, Tank, Fish tank, fishtank. Just a suggestion. You could also post an ad on Craigslist that you are looking for a free tank - and that it doesn't have to hold water. You just never know - sometimes people are looking to get rid of things. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:52 am

Like GotButterflies said. You can find great deals on used tanks. It may take several weeks or months to find what you want but the deals do pop up frequently. My guess is in a few months when people start "spring cleaning" more will pop up. I scored a 75 G with stand last year for $150. I had to drive over an hour but it was cheaper than spending around $500 for the same thing new. My mom called me last fall and her neighbor was going to throw out several tanks because she didn't want them. We scored two 55G, two 20 talls, and a few more odd sizes for free!

Be sure to ask everywhere, neighbors, friends, relatives, chances are somebody knows someone that wants to free up some space at their house or garage.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

soilentgringa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

Totes can be great habitats. They’re portable, and are a cost effective way to provide a larger amount of space for cheap.

You can put a heat mat like an ultratherm on the side; use a thermostat/dimmer switch if necessary.

Cut a hole in the lid and place a reptile lamp fixture with LED bulb in it for light with no heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Totes can be great habitats. They’re portable, and are a cost effective way to provide a larger amount of space for cheap.

You can put a heat mat like an ultratherm on the side; use a thermostat/dimmer switch if necessary.

Cut a hole in the lid and place a reptile lamp fixture with LED bulb in it for light with no heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or a waterproof/submersible LED strip commonly used for outdoor/aquariums...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+