How to move a 10 gallon tank?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Plasmoc

How to move a 10 gallon tank?

Post by Plasmoc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:00 pm

I am moving tomorrow, in the same building, just on another floor. How can I best safely move the crabs and tank?

- Should I leave everyone in the tank and just roll them down on a cart in the elevator?
- Should I remove the crabs info a tiny container for the 15-20 minute trip plus getting cabinet moved & setup?
- something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to move a 10 gallon tank?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Is everyone buried?

If not, remove the crabs and decor from the tank, as well as removing the substrate. The substrate is heavy, and moving it while it is 'full' can risk the seams cracking.

And then just set up at new place.

If anyone is buried - and also moulting - make sure you have a small iso container filled with some moss and place the crab inside. Repeat as above, except continue to isolate the moulting crab in a small container in the crabitat until they finish moulting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:27 pm

I had my husband move a 10-gallon molting iso once that was 80% filled with straight sand and 6 crabs down. We were having our furnace replaced in the middle of winter (gas and carbon monoxide leak, fun!) and the tank had to be moved upstairs or risk getting too cold. He moved it back downstairs after it was done so the temp stayed steadier. It was fine. He was the one who thought he could do it and was okay with taking the risk of the glass breaking.

We also moved a 30 gallon once that was half-full of EE and sand to the car, then into the house. It was again the middle of winter and it was how the previous owners gave it to us, so I didn't want to try digging out molters in my backseat.

There is ALWAYS a risk of the glass breaking and it could lead to horrific injuries. I guess it just comes down to how bold you are. I would never do it myself, I shattered 7 empty tanks in one summer just trying to move them around! Shards everywhere, they break like they want to cut you.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Ugh I can’t handle emptying the tank and setting it back up tomorrow along with moving a bunch of stuff all with my 2 little kids underfeet and also getting them settled in the our new home.

I might try to slide it onto a wood board and transfer it on that on a cart. All the seams should be supported if it has a solid wood board under it right?

The other option is not moving them tomorrow and trying to move them in a few days, but that means I have to come back to care for them everyday and I hate to leave them behind even for a short time

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 am

I got them moved safely, but now the tank settings are a bit wonky. They are closer to a window and air vent now (though they have 2 heaters on the back of the tank and the kid is mostly covered in plastic.

An old strip heater is right next to one heater and it says 95 degrees! The accurate heater is about 3 inches away and right above the second heater and reads 75 degrees. The strip used to read 84 and accurate 78 so I don’t know if I just didn’t out the heaters back in the exact same spot or what. I don’t think anything was damaged during the move... do I trust the accurite?

Accurite says humidity is 86% which sounds right as that’s it’s normally around there or a bit higher.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 am

*Accurite digital thermometer / hydrometer.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Maybe compare the thermometer to a thermometer uses for home heating? Leave it as close as you can to the heating thermostat, and see if the numbers are at least close?

But sometimes a little adjustment period is needed...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 pm

I would not trust the strip thermometer - those are known for being wildly inaccurate, and it also would only be showing the temperature of the glass and not the air inside the tank
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:09 am

It seems to have settled back to where it was before (accurite says 76 and strip says 84) so I think it’s ok.

How long do you think the accurite should sit by the thermostat to gague accuracy? 6-8 hours?