Sphagnum Moss VS. Terrarium Moss

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Sphagnum Moss VS. Terrarium Moss

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:30 am

We have been using the Zoo Meds Terrarium Moss for around two years in our moss pits. All our crabs in 4 tanks would always hide in it.

We heard about how Sphagnum Moss holds moisture better and crabs really love it. We figured we would try it. It deffinately holds moisture better.

Since switching our moss pits over about two weeks ago there has been zero activity in any of the moss pits. I have see crabs at the edge of the pit but won't go in. Almost like standing by a freezing pool sticking your foot in debating on jumping in. We figured it may take a little for them to decide to try it since I'm sure it smells different. We are talking about 25+ crabs refusing to try it. I find it extremely puzzling that not one crab tries it.

The only thing I can really think is possibly doing a 50/50 mix and see if we get any interest.

Did anyone else experience something similar switching moss?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

AwesomeHermit

Re: Sphagnum Moss VS. Terrarium Moss

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:56 am

No, quite the opposite. My crabs will sit in the sphagnum moss for hours
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Mine love sphagnum moss! I've never used terrarium moss.

Edit: Are you making it too wet?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I was thinking it may have been a little too wet. This stuff is like a sponge! I did squeeze it pretty good to get most of the water out but maybe not enough.

Last night I fluffed it up a bit in two of the tanks. This morning Abby and Mephy we're in it. I saw a purple hunkered down in the other moss pit.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:04 am

Yes! It is :) Because the humidity in my tanks is fine (99%), I actually put sphagnum in my crabitats dry a lot of times - they go to town on it!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com