My 2 hermies are not getting along

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
suebrad

My 2 hermies are not getting along

Post by suebrad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:13 am

Lately Sharkey, the largest of my two hermies, has been picking fights with DJ, the smallest. They have lived together for years and I have never seen this aggression before. It is like two children wanting the same thing. I have two large mopani pieces in their tank and if DJ is on one, Sharkey all of a sudden wants it and will literally go after DJ to get it, e.g., crawling over him, pushing him off the mopani (which is rather high) with his entire body or large claw, pushes DJ out of the food/water bowls etc. Sharkey has an "in yr face" type attitude that just seems to have reared its ugly face over night. This may be normal but have never experienced it before. Would appreciate any thoughts on this. I certainly don't want to separate them but don't like the major bullying that is going on here.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My 2 hermies are not getting along

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Nothing what you are describing sounds earth shattering to me. Sometimes right before a molt crabs can get a little moody. Perhaps that is what is going on. No need to separate - Just make sure you provide lots of calcium, protein, and healthy fats. Also, make sure you have the next size up for shells available. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Thank you for yr quick response. Both came up from molt Apr this year approximately two weeks apart. I get their food from the Hermit Crab Patch website and supplement with organic fruits and veggies. There are an additional four shells of different sizes in their habitat that they can move into. Sharkey follows DJ around which intimidates DJ. It is like wherever DJ is Sharkey comes over and crowds DJ out. If DJ is on the mopani wood, Sharkey comes over and crowds or pushes DJ off and there are two mopanis. I have never seen this behavior before. They always seemed to be the best of friends up until about five days ago. I can't think of anything that has changed. DJ seems to be afraid of Sharkey now. I am not familiar with the chirping sound and stupid me was not aware of it. But I haven't heard anything yet.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm

HCA recommends at least 3-5 extra shells per crab. Having a good selection will prevent shell fights.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:39 am

Are you providing them with sufficient calcium? Give them a cuttlebone and eggshell.

Change up their tank decor so they don't get bored. :)

Shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
suebrad

Post by suebrad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner. As far as the calcium, they get coral calcium in their food dish occasionally but I sprinkle an oyster shell supplement over their substrate also and they go after it. Both I purchase from the Hermit Crab Patch. Sharkey is still giving attitude literally pushing DJ away from as in their food dishes or water bowls or off of something such as their mopanis or hut. I have never heard any noise coming from either one of them and I have had them @ 6 years. It is just sad to see DJ getting bullied. I know they need to work it out themselves but I wish there was something I could do or should do and not know what.

On a separate note, they are climbing up on their mopani pieces and are able to reach the screen cover on top of their tank. Now they are crawling upside down on their screen. No problems here just wanted to let you know that now I can't have anything to high in their tank. Otherwise they are doing this and making a lot of noise. But you gotta love them which I do.