How hot is too hot?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
aslansgirl89

How hot is too hot?

Post by aslansgirl89 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Just a quick question here about whether hermit crabs can get too hot? I live in an area that has a heat index warning tomorrow with an actual temperature of 99 and heat indexes of over 110 so my question is, tonight my power went out because of a thunderstorm and I am wondering if the hermit crabs will be ok if it doesn't come back on and it gets really hot in my house or if I should move them to the basement where it is often several degrees cooler? Tia!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Crab Maid

Re: How hot is too hot?

Post by The Crab Maid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:48 pm

85F is considered the max "safe" temperature. After that you could be risking them, so just keep an eye on the temperature. I would say if it starts nearing 90 you'll want to move them somewhere cooler til your power comes back or it gets cooler. Make sure they have plenty of water access and that should help keep them cool too.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:38 pm

I keep my tank with straws and purples between 83-86. As Pelagic already said reaching 90 could be getting too high for them. Upper 80's I'm getting ready to cool the tank. If it hits 90 I'm blowing fans into the tank to cool it down. Crabs will either go into the water or dig into the substrate to cool off. Don't forget in the tropics they will also get hotter and cooler days than the normal conditions. They just don't have as many options to cool off in a tank as in the wild.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:13 am

I just wanted to state not too move the tank. If your substrate is deep enough they can dig down to cool off. I don't let my tanks get above 86, but that is me.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:12 am

I've had my tanks hit 95 in the upper areas, and they could burrow for coolness. My PPs always seemed to love the heat though.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:39 am

Before I purchased a thermostat, my tank used to get up to 90 degrees regularly in summer. My biggest issue with this was maintaining my humidity levels, so now I have a thermostat set to 84 degrees.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/