Fumes?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Fumes?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:35 am

So I'm moving into a new house and am worried about moving my crabs. I've run into a problem: the floors are getting refinished, they were supposed to be done this week but due to some problems they won't get done until the end of the month!

The problem is that I have to be out of my old apartment by the end of this month but the house is going to stink from the polyeurathane fumes. This is not a problem for me since I'll be out of town for the week but what can I do with my crabs? Could the fumes be dangerous to them?

I was thinking of seran wrapping the tank to make it airtight. It's going to be a 65 gallon tank. I suspect the crabs can manage in an airtight tank for less than a week.

What did y'all think?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Fumes?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:50 am

You can't make it airtight, they'll suffocate from lack of oxygen by then. They aren't made to concentrate air like we do, they need a constant fresh supply.

Can you set the tank up in a part of the house that hasn't been refinished, like a bathroom, and leave a window open to get fresh air in?

We had our floors refinished before we moved in and it was the worst mistake we ever made. Not only did the poly not last - in a couple years it looked worse than the before did - but the house stank for an entire year. The first 4 months were absolutely horrible. It's the reason our bedroom ended up being the backroom of the house that was the old porch with the original lino, it was the only room we could sleep in due to the smell elsewhere!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Well, really the issue is that I want to set up the new tank before I leave for vacation so the crabs can be in the optimum environment, and the tank will be probably 200+lbs when it's set up so putting it in the bathroom or something won't really be possible. If you guys don't think the crabs can make it for a few days in something airtight I'll just have to bring them over to my parents place and set them up with a few inches of eco earth for the week until everything's aired out and I can set up their tank properly.

Omg moving into a new house is hard! Lol

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Omg even better! My landlord says no ones moving in here for at least 2 weeks into the month and he's ok w me keeping the crabs here and moving them a few days into the month! Phew!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Omg even better! My landlord says no ones moving in here for at least 2 weeks into the month and he's ok w me keeping the crabs here and moving them a few days into the month! Phew!

Omg how sweet! Glad things worked out!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot