Question about bug spray

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
KristenL0522

Question about bug spray

Post by KristenL0522 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am

Hey all!
I have a quick question and tried to look if anyone else has asked but didn’t see any

The bug man (terminix) came in today and it didn’t even dawn on me to make sure it would be ok for the crabs. He didn’t spray their tank or spray around it. Hopefully that was ok... my question is for next time? Is it ok for them to come? The spray isn’t harmful to animals but not sure about hermits.
Thanks in advance!

(Edit) I also meant to ask about spraying the tank. I want to make sure the substrate stays wet for them. My question is do y’all spray your tanks with water? How often do you do it? What kind of water do you use? I used saltwater to mix it when I put it in the tank. I’m slightly confused about sand castle consistency. I am a visual learner so it’s difficult for me to fully grasp exactly what is wanted. I put my finger in and it glides well. I just don’t want it to get too hard for them.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Question about bug spray

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 am

KristenL0522 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am
Hey all!
I have a quick question and tried to look if anyone else has asked but didn’t see any

The bug man (terminix) came in today and it didn’t even dawn on me to make sure it would be ok for the crabs. He didn’t spray their tank or spray around it. Hopefully that was ok... my question is for next time? Is it ok for them to come? The spray isn’t harmful to animals but not sure about hermits.
Thanks in advance!

HG - since the spraying already happened there's nothing you can do. It's probably fine. But in the future cover the tank with a towel or planket.

(Edit) I also meant to ask about spraying the tank. I want to make sure the substrate stays wet for them. My question is do y’all spray your tanks with water? How often do you do it? What kind of water do you use? I used saltwater to mix it when I put it in the tank. I’m slightly confused about sand castle consistency. I am a visual learner so it’s difficult for me to fully grasp exactly what is wanted. I put my finger in and it glides well. I just don’t want it to get too hard for them.

HG - too much spraying can lead to flooding. Always use dechlorinated freshwater when adding water to or spraying the substrate. Sandcastle consistancy is when you can squeeze the substrate and it holds its shape but doesn't drip. You can gently slide a knife or straw, I use a skewer, down the glass to the bottom. If the track stays it's fine. If it falls in on itself it's too dry. What kind of lid do you have? It should be fully sealed.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
KristenL0522

Re: Question about bug spray

Post by KristenL0522 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:

Thank you for the information. I got a pexiglass top on it now that has a 2 inched hinged opening that I can open or close for air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk