Moss pit maintenance

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MauiMama

Moss pit maintenance

Post by MauiMama » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:12 pm

I've been considering adding a moss pit to my crabitat, but I am having trouble finding reliable information about upkeep. What kind of care do they need? Does it need to stay moist? How is yours constructed?

Let me see your pits! XD
•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

Motörcrab

Re: Moss pit maintenance

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:53 pm

The easiest way to build a moss pit is to purchase a plastic shower caddy with suction cups. Rinse the caddy in dechlorinated water clean the glass where you are going to stick the caddy then stick the suction cups. I like to zip tie pieces of cholla to the caddy to act as legs and to allow access for the crabs. That way if the suction cups come loose it will stay in place.

The moss is easy. Crabs like Sphagnum and Terrarium Moss. Be sure it is from a pet store and not dyed. Just soak the moss in dechlorinated fresh water for a few minutes then squeeze the water out so it is damp. Place it in the shower caddy and you have a moss pit.

Maintenance depends on how quick it dries out. Just pick it out and and resoak the moss. Check for hiding crabs first! Replace it as it gets dirty and shabby.

Moss pits are easier than changing foods and water!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:47 am

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. I didn't want it to be something where I have to provide it a certain amount of natural light, fertilize it, and sing it love songs every other Thursday. XD

About how deep should it be, relative to the crab?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:51 am

MauiMama wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:47 am
Thank you, that's what I needed to know. I didn't want it to be something where I have to provide it a certain amount of natural light, fertilize it, and sing it love songs every other Thursday. XD

About how deep should it be, relative to the crab?

sing it love songs every other Thursday. XD
:hlol: :hlol:

Deep enough for the crab to bury. A couple of mine sleep in theirs during the day.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:51 am
sing it love songs every other Thursday. XD
:hlol: :hlol:

Deep enough for the crab to bury. A couple of mine sleep in theirs during the day.
I'll have to make some room for that, I think he'd really enjoy a squishy soft spot!