What is on my crabs joints?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Maddamay32

What is on my crabs joints?

Post by Maddamay32 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:16 pm

If you look near his claw you'll see a green "string" looking thing. In person it looks like it's made of small fibers, almost like matted hair. On this crab it is green, I have atleast 2 other crabs I've seen who have the same thing but it's tan. I'm not necessarily worried I'm just curious what this is. Is it part of their anatomy? Or something else?
Let me know if more pics are required. Image

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Pincher

Re: What is on my crabs joints?

Post by Pincher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 am

As this image is somewhat blurred (however, my crab photos are also not better...) and I see nothing that looks not like normal hermit crab anatomy: Could you maybe edit your photo, highlighting the part in case by a circle or an arrow?

Regarding crab anatomy: They have antenna, feelers (adds up to four), and some rather longish mouthparts I see them using while drinking, while cleaning feelers or while cleaning their eyes. They often move them rapidly up and down and then fold them away. Likely you mean anything related to them.

Topic author
Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:11 am

Is this better?Image

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:43 am

Looks like a tuff of hair they have to help them drink/etc. Completely normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 am

Yeah, its normal. The funny thing is that, its not actually hair. Its actually part of the exoskeleton, forming a hair like look. (scientific speaking, it is refered to as the 'setae'). It is used primarily for touch.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/20 ... .Zo.r.html
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:39 am

Ahh ok. Makes sense. I knew they had those little hairs on them, just suprised it's so thick in some places lol.
I swear I learn something new about these crabs every day! Thanks!