New accidental crab owner

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

PinchersAndShells

Re: New accidental crab owner

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 am

You can upload a picture through the Tapatalk app, it would be very helpful because you may have a marine species, which have completely different care requirements than land hermit crabs.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am

purplepincher wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 pm
well, they need a 10 gallon tank with 6 inches of sand. make sure to bake the sand at 360 F for 30 minutes to free it of parasites. then go to your pet store and buy saltwater bowl and freshwater bowl. they CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT have tap water, so give them bottled water. also, give them logs and things they can eisily climb. they eat a vereity of foods, just nothing prossesed. remember, NO TAP WATER! and give them salt water from the pet store.

what species is your crab? look at the species care guide. they each have spesific requirements.

if you have questions, ask me.
-Jacob
Bottled water is often treated with chlorine. Tap water treated with a dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime is completely fine and I have used it for years, other people have used it for much longer. Bottled water must still be treated.

EDIT: Premixed salt water from the pet store is insufficient. It doesn’t contain all the elements salt water from the ocean does. I prefer mixing my own with Seachem Prime.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:33 am

purplepincher wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:01 pm
do NOT use almonds! use the sand, but moisten it with bottled water. get something they can hide under. also, they need humidity, so get a spray bottle. i beleive in you! :D

also, get the hideout ASAP. the tank also needs to stay warm
Almonds (with no salt) are fine to feed, they’re on the safe food list.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:45 pm

P&S corrected some misinformation given in this thread.
Almonds ARE a safe food.
Bottled water needs to be treated with a product such as Prime. Tap water treated the same way is safe, and cheaper. Then you will need to make marine salt water with a product such as Instant Ocean. Bottled salt water, even if marketed for crabs, is not appropriate.
Sand does not have to be baked. Play sand (cheap at a hardware store) can be used straight from the bag, moistened with dechlorinated fresh or salt water. Many of us add Eco Earth (coconut fiber) to help hold moisture and consistency (and help with humidity).

As stated, a photo can help identify species. If they are land crabs, the care sheets contain all the info you need regarding substrate, tank conditions, food, water, heat, etc.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 am

i know that, i was saying do not use almonds as substrate! i feed mine almonds all the time!
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!