Crab Fight and Minor Injury

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
SR245

Crab Fight and Minor Injury

Post by SR245 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:51 pm

Not a big emergency since both parties were separated and appeased before any serious injuries occured.

Summary my jumbo PP broke my medium E's left foreleg, the one that folds over the claw when it curls into. Only found out because the chirping woke me in the night. He dropped the broken leg on his own later and burrowed down for safety.

Main question is what are my E's chances of surviving the injury?

I'm coming up on two years with the cast of 5 crabs, and I've never had any problems before. He just resurfaced after burrowing to escape, and seems to be fine, but a bit on edge. Appeasing both parties with some carrots and dead darkling beetles.

I let the other guy keep the leg, since he kinda fought for it. A little savage, but I think it's better that the crabs eat the discarded part than me throwing it away.(Yay cannibalism?)

Before the interrogation begins, it's a 40 gal 7 in. sub, and two pools 6 in. deep. I keep it around 87F in the back right next to the heat pad, and around 80-82F in the front depending on the AC.

DragonsFly

Re: Crab Fight and Minor Injury

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Out of the 5 crabs, how many are E's and how many PP's? What size are they?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:58 pm

So sorry to hear of the lil fight. I don’t really think losing one leg is going to cause a death BUT I’m no expert either. Based on many hours of reading, I’ve seen plenty of storied where they throw their own leg and regrow it at a later date.
Of course the more pressing issue is why the one went after the other. Any clues? I would say, again, after hours of reading, to take the aggressor out for some isolation time just to be safe. I’d much rather one in iSo than any other altercations making things much worse....hope this helps some. Please do update!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Topic author
SR245

Post by SR245 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 pm

One Large PP, 1 Medium E, 1 small E, the other two pp are small and micro. The E is doing fine. Thinking the cause is protein deficiencies. Or my Jumbo is discovering cannibalism is a way of living too. Pic attached is the E in question curled slightly with the missing limb side apparent. Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 pm

A fair number of people have had difficulties keeping E's and PP's together. Some people have had them together without issue (as it sounds like you have for some time), but they are different species with different priorities and it may well be that communication and/or proximity cues (how much space they need before feeling threatened/crowded) differ between them as well. If you can, separating the species and keeping two crabitats might be something to consider. E's tend to like things a bit warmer than PP's, anyway, so setting them up with their own places might be good all around. In the meantime, make sure to keep offering a variety of sources of protein and chitin, and start scheming for a bigger tank for your PP's--7 inches of substrate is not nearly enough for a jumbo. Best wishes!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
SR245

Post by SR245 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 am

Status update. My E survived and regrew the limb in only two months under the ground too. Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:22 am

SR245 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:28 am
Status update. My E survived and regrew the limb in only two months under the ground too. Image

:banana:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 am

Yay! Such a sweet lil fella! Thanks for updating, it’s always good to hear the happy outcomes- we don’t post enough of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:09 pm

That's awesome! :3
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺