possible aggression

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
srwalter

possible aggression

Post by srwalter » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:30 pm

I recently introduced 2 new crabs to my crabitat. After initial weird interactions setting up the pecking order they seemed to be doing well together. I was looking at them and I noticed one hidden under a fake plant but his shell was turned over. I lifted the plant and a bigger hermit crab scurried away. The little one was all the way in his shell. Was the bigger one trying to pull him out or should I not worry. They’ve been here for like 3 weeks but I dunked the little dude in the fresh water again. Am I overthinking this or should I keep a close eye on them?

Hermiesguardian

Re: possible aggression

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:19 pm

srwalter wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:30 pm
I recently introduced 2 new crabs to my crabitat. After initial weird interactions setting up the pecking order they seemed to be doing well together. I was looking at them and I noticed one hidden under a fake plant but his shell was turned over. I lifted the plant and a bigger hermit crab scurried away. The little one was all the way in his shell. Was the bigger one trying to pull him out or should I not worry. They’ve been here for like 3 weeks but I dunked the little dude in the fresh water again. Am I overthinking this or should I keep a close eye on them?
Are they getting protein and calcium daily? Are there enough of the right kind of shells for them? 3-5 per crab.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi