Having A Lot Of Trouble With Shells

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Having A Lot Of Trouble With Shells

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Tue May 26, 2020 10:40 am

I think my crab has been trying to molt ever since I got her. I have bought her a lot of shells and I have given her a lot of choices, but I just can’t seem to find the right ones!

I purchased a whole assortment from amazon. Most of those seemed like they were either too big or too small. Then I purchased a 3-pack of Flukers shells in Medium because that was all they had. The openings on these seemed to be too small and none of them were the right size either.

At one point, Cora changed into one of the Flukers shells, but then she went back into her old shell the next day.

Then I ordered shells from Naples Sea Shell company, and carefully picked them based on their hermit crab buyer guide. When they arrived they turned out to be way too small! So I emailed them and asked if they could help me pick the right ones but I have yet to receive a reply.

Cora is very young and small. She is currently in a shell that is about an inch wide. I followed the user guide on Naples’ website. Maybe I simply estimated wrong on the measurements of her big claw.

****Also Naples doesn’t seem to have as much of a variety as you would think they would!

Help! Cora needs a new shell really bad. She has been trying to molt since April. What do I do?

Also-Cora stuffed one of the large shells full of substrate. I wonder why. I didn’t even know it would be possible for her to do that! :clap:
1 toy poodle, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 purple pincher. Crazy animal lover.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Having A Lot Of Trouble With Shells

Post by curlysister » Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 am

Molting and shell changes aren't always related. A crab might change shells after a molt, but not always. A crab might change shells randomly.

If she is in a shell with a one inch opening, what size shell openings did you order from Naples? What size did they send?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 26, 2020 11:51 am

Measuring shells is one of the most difficult things to get right. Choosing from small medium or large will give you very rough sizes.

You need to measure the shell opening of the crab that needs a new shell. Measure across the widest part of the opening. Once you get that measurement you need to add 1/8" to 1/4" to that size for your new shells.

This is how we have ordered shells and have had pretty good success.
Shells with openings between 3/8 and 1-1/8 we choose opening 1/8 to 1/4" larger.

Our captive bred babies are really tough those we just order tiny shells and sort them. Their shell openings are under 1/4" so they are very difficult to order. At any time for our 6 we offer at least 50 shells for them.

Larger shells with 1-1/8 and larger openings we order in 1/4" larger.

It's tough because the crabs choose what they like. Even having what we think are ideal the crabs have their own thoughts.

I don't think we have an actual care guide for measuring shells. I guess that's something we should put on the "to do" list.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Measuring shells is one of the most difficult things to get right. Choosing from small medium or large will give you very rough sizes.

You need to measure the shell opening of the crab that needs a new shell. Measure across the widest part of the opening. Once you get that measurement you need to add 1/8" to 1/4" to that size for your new shells.

This is how we have ordered shells and have had pretty good success.
Shells with openings between 3/8 and 1-1/8 we choose opening 1/8 to 1/4" larger.

Our captive bred babies are really tough those we just order tiny shells and sort them. Their shell openings are under 1/4" so they are very difficult to order. At any time for our 6 we offer at least 50 shells for them.

Larger shells with 1-1/8 and larger openings we order in 1/4" larger.

It's tough because the crabs choose what they like. Even having what we think are ideal the crabs have their own thoughts.

I don't think we have an actual care guide for measuring shells. I guess that's something we should put on the "to do" list.
Did you get your captive bred babies last year? And how big were they when you got them? How big are they now? About how many times have they molted since you got them? Do you have pictures with something so we can tell a size comparison like a Quarter or a Penny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 28, 2020 11:23 am

@CrabbyChelle628 we got them at last year's Crab Con. Looking back on the pictures they did grow a lot but are still tiny. It's really hard to say how many times they have molted. They only take a few days to molt and we don't see them all the time. I have been posting pictures in the following link once in a while.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120581&hilit=Baby+pictures
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:30 am

Omg those tiny crabs are soooo adorable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Thu May 28, 2020 3:54 pm

curlysister wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 am
Molting and shell changes aren't always related. A crab might change shells after a molt, but not always. A crab might change shells randomly.

If she is in a shell with a one inch opening, what size shell openings did you order from Naples? What size did they send?
I ordered:
⅜" - ½" opening
And Turbo ½" opening
Three of each so she would have shells
To choose from.
Keep in mind, right now she is currently in a shell that is about 1” in diameter, so her shell is a little bigger than a quarter.

And I believe the shells they sent me were true to what I ordered but it would be hard to measure and find out, when you’re measuring something so small.
1 toy poodle, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 purple pincher. Crazy animal lover.