Found: crab leg!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Mittmom

Found: crab leg!

Post by Mittmom » Wed May 27, 2020 12:12 am

I just found a crab leg sitting by the food dish! :shock: I read in a post losing a leg can be a sign of stress. About 10 days ago we changed the crabitat by adding a lot of substrate to fill in low areas. It ended up being a whole new layer, to make it deeper for the crabs. I suppose that could have caused stress, but the crabs (2 med PP) have acted fine. Does an aggressive crab ever pull limbs off another crab? Last night I did observe the crabs interacting in a way I hadn't before. It seemed like one rushed up to the other and they kinda moved their feelers rapidly in each other's faces. At the time I wondered if they were fighting. Can plastic plants or climbing "toys" hurt their limbs?
Since one limb is lost, whatever the reason, should I expect more losses and possibly death? Can anything be done? FYI tank stats: 15 gallon, Substrate (EE mixed with Hermit Crab Beach, with a higher concentration of EE) 7 inches, temp 80, humidity 75, several extra shells. I also just switched from one brand of aquarium salts to Instant Ocean. ???? Thank you!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Found: crab leg!

Post by curlysister » Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 am

Is one of your crabs missing a leg? Is the found leg hollow, like just exo, or solid like a whole leg?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Mittmom

Re: Found: crab leg!

Post by Mittmom » Wed May 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Hmm, good point. I haven't been able to check closely but it appears they both have all their front legs intact. Also, they have both been active, not buried, for a couple months so I don't think it's from a molt...
I'm pretty sure about 6 months ago our third crab died (disappeared), but based on the color of the leg (looks fresh) I don't think it's from that one.
Thanks for replying.