How to help a little hermie?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Vitalik_Miron

How to help a little hermie?

Post by Vitalik_Miron » Sat May 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi to everyone! Few days ago i bought a little hermit crab (Coenobita Clypeatus). Honestly, it was not a buying but saving a crab from the horrible conditions. At home i saw that hermie didn't have two walking legs from the left side. I see how difficult for him to move or doing smt. I made a separate tank for him with the right temperature and humidity. Try to give him some food which he can eat. Maybe, someone has an experience how else can i help him, prepare for sucsessful molt?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to help a little hermie?

Post by JoeHermits » Sat May 30, 2020 3:05 pm

It sounds like you’re handling things well! I would offer plenty of protein and calcium to aid new growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Vitalik_Miron

Post by Vitalik_Miron » Sat May 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Yesterday i gave him spirulina powder (add some water) and today it was an egg with banana. Unfortunatelly, i think he is under great stress, scared from any sound or movement. Hope he will be fine and can join to my other hermies
Last edited by Vitalik_Miron on Sun May 31, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 30, 2020 8:26 pm

Vitalik_Miron wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:51 pm
Yesterday i have him spirulina powder (add some water) and today it was an egg with banana. Unfortunatelly, i think he is under great stress, scared from any sound or movement. Hope he will be fine and can join to my other hermies
Keep us updated! Sending good wishes :love::
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Vitalik_Miron

Post by Vitalik_Miron » Sun May 31, 2020 5:36 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:26 pm
Keep us updated! Sending good wishes :love::
Thanks. Today he is much active, try to walk around the tank. Every day i make water bath with fresh water for him. Seems, he likes it.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun May 31, 2020 6:36 am

Vitalik_Miron wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:36 am
Thanks. Today he is much active, try to walk around the tank. Every day i make water bath with fresh water for him. Seems, he likes it.
You should really handle him as little as possible. They stress very easily.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Vitalik_Miron

Post by Vitalik_Miron » Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:36 am
You should really handle him as little as possible. They stress very easily.
Agree with you, from tomorrow i will decrease my activity with him. Want to check humidity, temperature and food. Water bath i make just to give him a fresh water, because i see he doesn't go to a water pool himself. Afraid, that his gills can dehydrate. Or with the humidity level (70-80%) he will be ok, and i shouldn't do water bath regulary?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun May 31, 2020 10:12 am

HCA does not recommend bathing crabs. They carry a mix of fresh and salt water in their shell, and if you bathe them, it can throw off the balance. As long as you have both dechlor fresh and salt water available, they will get what they need.
70% is getting a little low for humidity - you should aim for 75% or higher.
Also be sure that you are offering protein and calcium daily in their diet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Vitalik_Miron

Post by Vitalik_Miron » Sun May 31, 2020 3:03 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:12 am
HCA does not recommend bathing crabs. They carry a mix of fresh and salt water in their shell, and if you bathe them, it can throw off the balance. As long as you have both dechlor fresh and salt water available, they will get what they need.
70% is getting a little low for humidity - you should aim for 75% or higher.
Also be sure that you are offering protein and calcium daily in their diet.
Thanks for the advice! Could you prompt, how can i offer a salt water to the crab? I make pools with fresh and salt water, but he can't walk so well, and i am afraid, that he doesn't get salt water? Maybe i should make a small plate with a salt water and offer it to him?