How do I Introduce New Hermit Crabs to My Tank? Please help!

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
MaryJane

How do I Introduce New Hermit Crabs to My Tank? Please help!

Post by MaryJane » Sun May 31, 2020 11:27 pm

Five years ago I got 2 hermit crabs, Hermie and Derby. Derby died of an unknown reason a little while after having them. I then moved to Texas a couple years later. At some point I got another hermit crab, but he died really quick. It’s now been around 1-2 years since and I want to get some more hermit crabs because I don’t want hermie to be lonely. Hermie’s currently in a 36”x18”x18” enclosure and in a shell that’s around 3 inches with a 1 inch opening. I mention this because if I get more they’re definitely going to be smaller then Hermie. I’m wanting to get at least 2 more hermit crabs.
Should I get more hermit crabs?
Is getting 2 or more hermit crabs a good idea?
Would Hermie be happier with friends?
How should I introduce them?

I only want what is best for my hermit crab, please help.

relaxits4lex

Re: How do I Introduce New Hermit Crabs to My Tank? Please help!

Post by relaxits4lex » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Good idea? More than definitely. Hermit crabs are social creatures and love to interact with not only you but their own kind as well. I would recommend sticking with getting him one friend for now, and waiting a bit to get a third. Maybe a week or two to see how you like it and then see if you could handle a third. Taking care of two can be a hassle and adding a third can be more trouble. Introducing them should be easy. Just get them out to play and introduce them that way. From experience, ones that are smaller get along really well with the ones you got. Tho if they are bigger, they could end up trying to fight, which isn’t a big deal. Just separate them if that happens. And after that they should be fine.

Thanks.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How do I Introduce New Hermit Crabs to My Tank? Please help!

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Many people dip both the old and new crab into fresh water so they both smell the same.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers