Strange shape in substrate

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Neleono

Strange shape in substrate

Post by Neleono » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:06 am

So I just walked into the room where I house my aquarium backed pets and I get to my crab tank and I’m there little hollowed out half log that is in the tank I see it’s filled up a bit with sand with somthing dark in the middle. Upon closer inspection I see that the dark thing it an almost perfect circle of eco earth. Does anyone know what this could be? Is it somthing I need to be cautious about or is it just a strange thing my crabs have done. I know that my substrate isn’t good, I’ve been meaning to replace it but one of my crabs has been what I think to be molting. Also, I made my substrate in a way that it is half ee and half sand that are separated so I don’t know how they could have moved so much ee into the middle. Thanks for the help, will be posting pics in the comments soon.

Topic author
Neleono

Re: Strange shape in substrate

Post by Neleono » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:13 am

Pics: Image
First picture is the ee circle from top view when log is removed.

Second and third pictures are a front facing view when log is where it normally is.

Forth picture is a picture of the half and half substrate idea I described before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:06 am

This guy has been sitting on it ever since I made this post if this helps confirm any theories.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:26 am

I know they say that perfect shapes don't occur in nature, but sometimes it really is just a coincidence. My guess would be that it's a clump of cocofiber the crabs picked apart, or possibly a pile of dry and crumbled poop.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Neleono

Post by Neleono » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:07 am

Ok thanks! I was worried of something much more like a nest or something (idk how crab children work)