Strawberry Hermit Crab (Coenobita perlatus)

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:20 pm

Does anyone know where I could get a strawberry hermit crab? I live in California in the Bay Area. Or know of any legitimate online store/shops/businesses/ & or people that are selling any? I would love to adopt one or even a blueberry Coenobita purpureus. I don’t have my hopes up since I know these are pretty rare especially for where I live since they aren’t native but just thought I’d ask. Thank you in advance! 🙏🏾😊 :crabbigsmile:

asiankanye

Re: Strawberry Hermit Crab (Coenobita perlatus)

Post by asiankanye » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:39 pm

I don’t know much about buying crabs, but it is strongly recommended to adopt instead of buy. Do NOT buy online, as many stores are known to scam/inadequate shipping. I don’t know where to buy strawberries, but blueberries will be near impossible to find because I think it was Japan that stopped exporting them a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Yes my apologies I’m new to owning and also that goes with the language or lingo. I do intend to adopt/rescue a couple of purple pinchers from PetSmart. But yeah was just wondering about these two types since Ik they are super rare and been to many petsmarts and petcos with no luck finding any. But I didn’t expect to find any tbh. But thank so much for replying and also informing 🙏🏾😁.

SilverHermits

Post by SilverHermits » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:33 am

In a year or so, at CrabCon2021 Mary Akers will be adopting out her new hermit crab babies (captive bred). She is pretty sure they are violas, so you could always wait another year and get a few of them :)
Crabber for over 11 years
16 hermit crabs
13 Purple Pinchers, 2 Straws and a Brevi
Tanks: 100g, 75g, 29g+ a bunch of smaller ones

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 am

The suspected baby violas came form my crabs, Mary and I met up so she could raise them, I knew their best possible chance would be with her. We haven’t really figured out what we’re doing with them and how many we get for number of actual crabs, I am leaving the bigger stuff to her decision bc she is definitely way more experienced than me in that for sure. We’re still not 100% sure if they are violas but are leaning more towards them, although they still need time to develop and confirm for sure.
As for other exotics just keep checking adoption pages, I seemed to get my guys by pure luck. I would also recommend spending some time raising the pps to get some experience as the exotics seems to be very sensitive. Adopting an exotic from a home where it was cared for properly would probably mean it would be it better health also, so your not disappointed if something happened to them. I’ve had that happen myself and was totally heartbroken. I got one from a very good friend of mine and she wasn’t sure where he had come from and he didn’t make it through his first molt with me. Straws are known for having molt problems. I hope I’m not discouraging you from getting them I’m just trying to say take your time and you will find some.
Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:51 am

SilverHermits wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:33 am
In a year or so, at CrabCon2021 Mary Akers will be adopting out her new hermit crab babies (captive bred). She is pretty sure they are violas, so you could always wait another year and get a few of them :)
I was watching a YouTube video about crabcon I really really want to go! Hopefully crabcon2021 will happen and all this corona virus is gone.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:52 am

Pizza Hermit wrote: I was watching a YouTube video about crabcon I really really want to go! Hopefully crabcon2021 will happen and all this corona virus is gone.
I hope so too. I’m so heartbroken to not be actually able to go this year. Do you have the info for the online CrabCon 2020? We are having all the talks online.

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:58 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:47 am
The suspected baby violas came form my crabs, Mary and I met up so she could raise them, I knew their best possible chance would be with her. We haven’t really figured out what we’re doing with them and how many we get for number of actual crabs, I am leaving the bigger stuff to her decision bc she is definitely way more experienced than me in that for sure. We’re still not 100% sure if they are violas but are leaning more towards them, although they still need time to develop and confirm for sure.
As for other exotics just keep checking adoption pages, I seemed to get my guys by pure luck. I would also recommend a spending some time raising the pps to get some experience as the exotics seems to be very sensitive. Adopting an exotic from a home where it was cared for properly would probably mean it would be it better health also, so your not disappointed if something happened to them. I’ve had that happen myself and was totally heartbroken. I got one from a very good friend of mine and she wasn’t sure where he had come from and he didn’t make it through his first molt with me. Straws are known for having molt problems. I hope I’m not discouraging you from getting them I’m just trying to say take your time and you will find one.
Yes you make such a good point. I’m definitely gonna be adopting some pp’s on Thursday. But yeah the plan was to get those and raise them and gain experience because like you said I would be absolutely devastated if I got a strawberry and something happened 😫 and I’m sorry to hear about yours ☹️ My condolences. I appreciate your honesty and helpful advice. Hey so do you know of any adoption pages? My location most likely isnt no where near yours so might not help lol but idk. I live in California Bay Area near Palo Alto & San Francisco. Thank you again! This community is amazing. I just which the HCA had an app so we could message through the app lol that would be a little more convenient.

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:59 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:52 am
I hope so too. I’m so heartbroken to not be actually able to go this year. Do you have the info for the online CrabCon 2020? We are having all the talks online.
No I don’t, there’s an online crabcon2020? Oh wow!

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Well there is an app called tapa talk that you can use.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Pizza Hermit wrote: No I don’t, there’s an online crabcon2020? Oh wow!
I hope I did this right. Here is a link to the online Crab Con 2020

https://m.facebook.com/events/412641496103180

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Pizza Hermit wrote:
Yes you make such a good point. I’m definitely gonna be adopting some pp’s on Thursday. But yeah the plan was to get those and raise them and gain experience because like you said I would be absolutely devastated if I got a strawberry and something happened Image and I’m sorry to hear about yours Image My condolences. I appreciate your honesty and helpful advice. Hey so do you know of any adoption pages? My location most likely isnt no where near yours so might not help lol but idk. I live in California Bay Area near Palo Alto & San Francisco. Thank you again! This community is amazing. I just which the HCA had an app so we could message through the app lol that would be a little more convenient.

There are adoption pages here
HCA Adoption link:

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... .php?f=113

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:01 pm
Well there is an app called tapa talk that you can use.

Oh ok so it is compatible with the HCA website? Like I can look at all my messages on here on that app? I’ll look into it thank you 🙏🏾

Topic author
Pizza Hermit

Post by Pizza Hermit » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:14 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:04 pm
I hope I did this right. Here is a link to the online Crab Con 2020

https://m.facebook.com/events/412641496103180
Awesome thank you I will check it out! 😁

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes, you can. I really want to get the ticket for the 10 dollar or maybe even 59 dollar online crabcon, but my parents probably won’t let me :(