Which type of hermit crab?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.
Post Reply

Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi everyone! :hi:: I'm looking into getting a hermit crab and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kind to get. I'm looking for a smaller one, I don't want one that's too big. :( The reason I want small hermit crabs is because I only have enough room for a 15 gallon tank and I'd like for the hermit crabs to have enough space to roam around and be happy. :crabbigsmile: Thanks so much in advance. :cheer:

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7007
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:54 pm

The most common hermit crab purchased and adopted are purple pinchers. You could always look in the Crabs needing a home section and see if there is a crab in your area needing a home :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com


Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:07 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:54 pm
The most common hermit crab purchased and adopted are purple pinchers. You could always look in the Crabs needing a home section and see if there is a crab in your area needing a home :)
I looked but unfortunately there aren't any close enough to me. :( Two purple pinchers would be okay in a 15 gallon tank, right? :)

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7007
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:17 pm

ChocoMint wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:07 pm
I looked but unfortunately there aren't any close enough to me. :( Two purple pinchers would be okay in a 15 gallon tank, right? :)
It should be fine as long as you get small crabs :) I will tell you that crabbing is an addiction, and you will always want a bigger tank
Welcome to the HCA :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com


Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:11 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:17 pm
It should be fine as long as you get small crabs :) I will tell you that crabbing is an addiction, and you will always want a bigger tank
Welcome to the HCA :)
Okay, thank you so much! :laugh::

User avatar

curlysister
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2222
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by curlysister » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 pm

Yep, as soon as you have a tank set up, you will want a bigger one! LOL!
And your crabs will grow. So 2 small PPs in a 15 gallon would be good now, but in a few years you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank as they grow.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers


Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:49 am

curlysister wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:24 pm
Yep, as soon as you have a tank set up, you will want a bigger one! LOL!
And your crabs will grow. So 2 small PPs in a 15 gallon would be good now, but in a few years you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank as they grow.
Should I get a 20 gallon tank instead? :?:

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9816
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 am

A 20 gallon tank with a pair or trio of tiny hermits will last you for years! You'll also have more space to decorate, and provide essentials like water pools.

You likely won't have much of a choice in species, but if you live somewhere where you're lucky, I would suggest Ruggies. They are a slower growing, more petite species with lots of energy.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram


Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 am

wodesorel wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:28 am
A 20 gallon tank with a pair or trio of tiny hermits will last you for years! You'll also have more space to decorate, and provide essentials like water pools.

You likely won't have much of a choice in species, but if you live somewhere where you're lucky, I would suggest Ruggies. They are a slower growing, more petite species with lots of energy.
Thank you! :cheer:


Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:51 am

The stand I have is meant for a 15 gallon tank, so a 20 gallon tank will poke off the sides. :( Is that okay? It'd only be 1/2-1 inch off each side.

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9816
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:03 pm

15 longs and 20 gallon talls have interchangeable lids and stands and should have the same base.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram


Topic author
ChocoMint
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:21 am
Contact:

Re: Which type of hermit crab?

Post by ChocoMint » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:11 am

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:03 pm
15 longs and 20 gallon talls have interchangeable lids and stands and should have the same base.
Okay, thank you. :D

Post Reply