General Questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
gflor119

General Questions

Post by gflor119 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:23 am

I decided to post some questions I’ve had all relating to different topics in one post hoping someone can answer them all in one so here it goes:
1.Thoughts on the Flukers Straw hermit crab color enhancer? Or what are some foods to keep their color enhanced/where can I get it from?
2.I’ve seen a few TikToks where people made their own climbing/hide background for some of their animals(reptiles mostly) using things such as styrofoam and covering it with safe grout and stuff, so has anyone tried it or recommend it for hermit crabs?
3.Best place to buy some sturdy greenery and vines?
4.What are the benefits of giving them olive oil/how often should it be given to them?
5.If one of my hermits went down for a molt and the other soon followed will they have the same “molt cycle” if that’s a thing? They’ve both been down for about two weeks and honestly I’m getting bored of not seeing them climbing around :lol:
6.Best place to get moss from? I checked some local stores, but they all had “faux moss” live moss is better right?
Lastly I would love it if someone could share some diys that they’ve seen or done for hermit crabs to just spice up their tank?
Thank you to everyone in advance! :crabbigsmile:

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: General Questions

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:32 am

1. It’s a valid treat, but considering its selling point is carotenoids you can find in most fruits and vegetables I don’t think I’d get it for color enhancement alone. Beta carotene and lycopene can be found in most red, orange, and yellow fruits and vegetables.

2. I haven’t heard of Safe Grout, but if it’s just limestone and silica it should be safe.

3. If the pet stores have nothing to your interest try an arts and crafts store.

4. Olive oil is a valid source of “healthy” fats but we don’t know how much they actually benefit from it, not to mention it’s high calorie (pure fat). A few times a week should be fine.

5. They have their own cycles, but they can coincide!

6. Pet stores are your best bet, but you can check a gardening center for organic mosses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
gflor119

Re: General Questions

Post by gflor119 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:23 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:32 am
1. It’s a valid treat, but considering its selling point is carotenoids you can find in most fruits and vegetables I don’t think I’d get it for color enhancement alone. Beta carotene and lycopene can be found in most red, orange, and yellow fruits and vegetables.

2. I haven’t heard of Safe Grout, but if it’s just limestone and silica it should be safe.

3. If the pet stores have nothing to your interest try an arts and crafts store.

4. Olive oil is a valid source of “healthy” fats but we don’t know how much they actually benefit from it, not to mention it’s high calorie (pure fat). A few times a week should be fine.

5. They have their own cycles, but they can coincide!

6. Pet stores are your best bet, but you can check a gardening center for organic mosses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much I’ll look into all of these!