How to ease hermit crabs nerves

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
marleylmao

How to ease hermit crabs nerves

Post by marleylmao » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:51 pm

Hello,
I previously owned a hermit crab who I ended up donating to my old science teacher before I had to go off to college. I’m now back from college, and my grandmother ended up getting hermit crabs from a garage sale because she knew I knew how to care for them. I didn’t know how many, or the condition when she called and told me, but when she showed up to my house it was very apparent that they were severely mistreated. There were maggots, and bugs all throughout their substrate, and the smell of the tank was absolutely repulsive. I immediately went to the store and got all new supplies. When I was cleaning it out I found a dead hermit crab in the dirt. They’re safe and healthy now, but my main concern is the fact that they are so nervous 24/7 and I want to help ease that in some way. Its to the point where if one of them is on top of one of the large pieces of driftwood in their tank, and they see me stand up from my bed, across the room, they will immediately go into their shell, sometimes resulting in them falling off of it and I feel so terrible. I just want to help them. Is there anything I can do? Thank you.
:crabblush:

Hermielover121

Re: How to ease hermit crabs nerves

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 pm

I would just try not to touch them a lot. It will take some time when I first got mine they were very scared like that but now one of them is finally pretty comfortable around me. Us crabbers have mixed opinions and handling our hermit crabs some say that it’s good for them and it gets them more comfortable but most of us decide not to touch them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Hi! Welcome to the HCA!
I agree with not handling the crabbies. Make sure you give them lots of things to hide in as well. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
marleylmao

Post by marleylmao » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Thank you both so much!

DUDE

Post by DUDE » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:41 am

I found that keeping them in the dark is also very helpful:)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Its also a waiting game, as they become accustomed of your house, they likely to be less skittish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:49 pm

marleylmao wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:51 pm
Hello,
I previously owned a hermit crab who I ended up donating to my old science teacher before I had to go off to college. I’m now back from college, and my grandmother ended up getting hermit crabs from a garage sale because she knew I knew how to care for them. I didn’t know how many, or the condition when she called and told me, but when she showed up to my house it was very apparent that they were severely mistreated. There were maggots, and bugs all throughout their substrate, and the smell of the tank was absolutely repulsive. I immediately went to the store and got all new supplies. When I was cleaning it out I found a dead hermit crab in the dirt. They’re safe and healthy now, but my main concern is the fact that they are so nervous 24/7 and I want to help ease that in some way. Its to the point where if one of them is on top of one of the large pieces of driftwood in their tank, and they see me stand up from my bed, across the room, they will immediately go into their shell, sometimes resulting in them falling off of it and I feel so terrible. I just want to help them. Is there anything I can do? Thank you.
:crabblush:
If they were in bad conditions, they might not have molted in awhile. I find that after the first molt they tend to mellow out a tiny bit. I've had my crabs for 3 years and I don't handle them much so they aren't really "comfortable" with me and I don't know if they ever will (I wouldn't think so because they are tiny and I am not). Crab's survival instinct says to run, hide, molt so they can grow, and get bigger. The bigger they are the less scared they are in my experience.
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:21 pm

How are they doing now? They might have been nervous because of a new habitat, but I do agree with not handling them unless you absolutely have to. Good luck with your little guys! Welcome to the HCA!😆
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"