Molding please help

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
hermitsrus1966

Molding please help

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:33 pm

I had my crabs in a 40 gallon tote for the longest time. The humidity would get up to 90 percent and be like that may of the time. Things of course would mold I did my best to take care of it but did not freak out as much simply cause I was gonna be moving them into a 90 gallon and would have a heat lamp and there would be a less air tight top for the 90 gallon (because of cords). I have moved them and it's can get up to 80 percent during the night by 75 percent humidity during the day (because I turn the heat lamp off at night). Anyway I added brand new cholla wood and it appears to be getting moldy!! AGAIN!!! I can not keep throwing chOlla wood away cause it gets moldy so quick. Does anyone else have problems with cholla wood? Any recommendations?

asiankanye

Re: Molding please help

Post by asiankanye » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Boil it in dechlorinated salt water, that should help prevent any more mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Molding please help

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:03 pm

I agree. There are three surefire ways to deal with mold.

1.) Wait it out. Eventually the mold eats away what it can eat and fizzles out. (Not healthy for us humans!) Takes a long time though.

2.) Salt. Making sure items are saturared in salt will inhibit mold growth. I like to boil what can be boiled in REALLY salty water. At least 1 pound per gallon. Kosher salt is safe and cheap for this.

3.) Springtails. These guys eat mold and spores and control growth. You can buy colonies for bioactive tanks. You can also take a small risk and use leaves, moss or sticks from outside which will have them - though you could end up with other bugs, too.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram