Moving with my crabs

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Grey

Moving with my crabs

Post by Grey » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 pm

I might be moving in the next year or so to another state and i’m a first time hermit crab owner. I would be moving by car but i’m trying to keep them as stress free as i can and i would really appreciate some tips on moving with them

C_fiesta

Re: Moving with my crabs

Post by C_fiesta » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:31 pm

I hate moving with crabs, it's my least favorite part about having crabs. My advice is to keep your crabs happy and healthy leading up to the move. You want them in their best physical shape as much as possible. Make sure you're giving them a proper diet: protein, calcium, veggies, honey, etc. Before the move you'll want to set up a travel size tote. As you're moving across states it gets a little tricky. Hopefully it'll be in a warm months so you don't have to worry about a heat source. When I moved (across town) I purchased a new tank and set it up completely in the new house and then slowly moved my crabs that were on the surface to the new tank in the new house over the course of a few days, and then had to dismantle the old tank. Because I was missing some crabs I had to carefully dig with my hands to locate the others. I had to isolate one because it was in the molting process and still a little soft. I'm glad you're thinking about the process before moving!
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare