New hermit crab owner in need off advice

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Mitch90

New hermit crab owner in need off advice

Post by Mitch90 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Hello, 2 days ago I acquired 2 hermit crabs. One whilst on vacation, and after doing research finding out they arent as easy to care for as I was told, i visited my local pet store and purchased another along with many needs that they actually require to somewhat thrive in captivity. I am currently concerned as they are both borrowed underneath a little hermie coconut shell, is this normal?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New hermit crab owner in need off advice

Post by curlysister » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:24 pm

Welcome to crabbing. Be sure to check out the 'care sheets' for all the info you'll need. And ask any questions you might have!

Yep, totally normal for them to hide or to bury themselves in the sand. Best not to disturb them when they are buried because they could be de-stressing or molting.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Mitch90

Post by Mitch90 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:50 am

My main concern is that they may be harming eachother as they are burrowed very close to eachother it seems. Would make sense that they are de stressing since the habitat I now have them in is far superior than where they came from. I just want to give these little guys the best life I can, I feel bad that they are not in their natural environment and was kinda naive when purchasing, so I'm trying to do EVERYTHING for them.
Thanks for your time

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 am

Hello! Welcome to Crabbing and HCA.

Make sure you read this basic care guide, as Curlysister said. Here's a link: https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 0&t=119273

New crabs will almost always immediately dig down once they have access to new good substrate. The crabs have been taken from the wild, shipped in a bag most likely deprived of all the things they need to live, dumped at a pet store or beach stop where they also had far inferior conditions. So when you came along and then did some research and updated their tank, they are like "YES, FINALLY I CAN MOLT!" Crabs molt to not only grow and get bigger, but to also destress and reset their system. You might not see your new crabs for a little while, but that's normal. Once they molt (will probably take a few weeks) they'll be much more active. In the meantime, give them lots of healthy foods like a steady supply of protein, calcium, and some "healing foods" like honey. Here's a great care sheet about that: https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 25&t=92554

I know you'll want to know what they are up to under the surface, but PLEASE, NEVER DIG UP YOUR CRABS. They have been molting on their own their whole life and do not need your assistance! Don't worry about them going down in the same spot. They are colony creatures, they like friends! They might just be hanging out together. Also, a single entry point in the tank substrate can lead to a network of tunnels. They might have dug down in the same spot, but neither might be there. They probably dug down in that spot under the hidey because they figured it was their safest spot.

Keep giving them proper food, water, lots of shells, and some hideys and they'll get more comfortable and you might see them more often. Let me know if you have other questions!
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:08 am

As long as your sub is deep enough, and your tank is not over crowded, crabs generally won't come across each other when down. They do move locations once they are under ground as well, so they might start close together but not stay there very long.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Mitch90

Post by Mitch90 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:13 am

Thank you all so much for the help! I did not expect so much positive helpful feedback! :) a few questions are floating around for me, should I continue to feed them while they are burrowed? Or is it a waste? Also I only have about 3 inches of substrate unfortunately at the moment. I am planning on waiting for them to surface and filling there tank with atleast 5 inches, thoughts??? Also... the swindling gift shop o bought my first from sold me a crappy tank set up that came with a little half coconut shell looking hut (which they have chosen to burrow under) and the hut seems to possibly be molding already!!! It has stringy white things hanging from it, guessing that's mold... should I remove that? Or wait for them to surface before I go moving things around?? I am so grateful for all of the feedback and help! I didnt really expect to be put in this position with these little guys, but I refuse to not do my best at giving them the best possible life with there current situation!