Moving Cages

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Bwbble

Moving Cages

Post by Bwbble » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm

My crab (Legs) has lived in a small cage most of his life, so when I got him I wanted to change his habitat and I have a few questions. Legs has molted 2-3 times in his current cage. If I move him into another cage does he risk getting PPS? Also, is using sand instead of dirt fine? Thank you!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moving Cages

Post by curlysister » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:29 pm

If the other conditions have been good, like he has been in appropriate heat and humidity but just a small tank, I wouldn't think he would be at too much risk for PPS. That he has made it through a couple of molts is a good sign.
Yes, some people do use all play sand. It should be moistened with dechlor water so it is sand castle consistency and holds it's shape, but not so wet that water pools in the bottom. Many of us use a mix of play sand and EE because it's a bit easier to keep the right consistency, and the moist EE helps with the humidity too. But all one or the other can be used.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers