A Couple Of Crabby Questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

A Couple Of Crabby Questions

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello crabby people,
I have a couple of questions.

Cora is doing great and has even become more active. She is hiding less.

But I still don’t know everything there is to know.

I have a couple of concerns:

1. I think she might be drinking her salt water rather than bathing in it. I read the caresheet on water today. I need to by larger dishes, and thus a larger tank...to accommodate the proper salt water measurements. (It is hard to get the measurements right in small dishes). Currently, as an admin mentioned on here, I don’t think the measurements are correct. Btw, I am using Flukers Hermit Crab salt solution (which I know is not appropriate). I will buy the proper salt tomorrow, and try to get the measurements right until I can afford to upgrade everything.

But could this be toxic/fatal?

2. I can’t afford to get her a companion until August. My cat needs oral surgery, and I have a whole bunch of other extra expenses. The kind of crab I want would be a little pricey...and I would also have to upgrade the tank. My question is this: How long can a hermie go without a “friend”? (I’ve had her since April). I know it is bad for them to not have companionship of their species.
1 toy poodle, 1 cat, 1 rabbit, 1 purple pincher. Crazy animal lover.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Couple Of Crabby Questions

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:52 pm

That salt will not be toxic or harmful. It just does not have all the minerals needed long term. I mix up my Instant Ocean 2 cups at a time (2 cups dechlor water with 1 Tablespoon IO). If your pool is smaller than that, you can keep it to use later.

Your crab will be fine alone for a while. Many crabs live good lives alone. Be sure to watch the 'adoptions' section of the forum, and put a 'wanted' post on there for your area as well. You might be able to get a crab who needs a new home for free!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:58 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:52 pm
That salt will not be toxic or harmful. It just does not have all the minerals needed long term. I mix up my Instant Ocean 2 cups at a time (2 cups dechlor water with 1 Tablespoon IO). If your pool is smaller than that, you can keep it to use later.

Your crab will be fine alone for a while. Many crabs live good lives alone. Be sure to watch the 'adoptions' section of the forum, and put a 'wanted' post on there for your area as well. You might be able to get a crab who needs a new home for free!
But can hermit crabs *drink* the salt water? I thought they were only supposed to bathe in it, and drink regular water.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 pm

They can and do drink saltwater as a source of minerals.

Topic author
CrabbyCancerian

Post by CrabbyCancerian » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:17 pm
They can and do drink saltwater as a source of minerals.
Oh okay. Good to know!