All hermit crabs suddenly died

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
robinwhiskers

All hermit crabs suddenly died

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 am

I went to care for my crabs today and was shocked and heartbroken to see all three of my crabs died suddenly. One was out of his shell and across the tank from it, one was dead in her shell in the freshwater pool, and one was dead in a piece of coral. Those two looked freshly died and were hanging from their shells with their eyes bright and their colors will intact but the first one out of the shell was very crisp with his colors faded. I'm very saddened by this and confused why this would happen. I've changed nothing in their habitat and they've seemed healthy since now. All the conditions were good. One crab I've had 5 years, one 4 years, and one for only 3 months. I'm so confused as their bodies had all their legs and they had no mites. Does anyone have any ideas why this would be?
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

CrabbyLover77

Re: All hermit crabs suddenly died

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:27 am

Would you mind filling out the emergency template? It would help us get a better insight into your tank conditions, and maybe what happened. Thanks!
I'm so sorry for your loss!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:45 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? A. 6+ inch deep play sand

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? A. Located at front of tank, humidity is typically 80% and temperature is about 78°.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? A. Yes, a UTH on the side of the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? A. Both types are available, I use Seachem Prime to dechlorinate and Instant Ocean for salt, 1 1/2 tsp per cup of water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? A. I feed a mix of dry blends of fruits, veggies, and bugs and replace every day or two.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? A. I had 3 purple pinchers, one for 5 years, one for 4 years, and one for 3 months.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? A. I don't know when their last molts were but it has been a while.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? A. I have a 10 gallon long tank with a half-covered (to keep in humidity) mesh lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? A. 3, one was pretty small, two were medium/small size.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? A. Around 10-12.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? A. Not that I'm aware of.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? A. If no crabs are molting, sometimes I'll mix the sand so the same sand doesn't always sit on the surface, I'll clean out pools and bowls when necessary.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? A. No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? A. No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? A. No.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:25 pm

I am so very sorry! How long had it been since the last time you knew they were all alive? Anyone else have access to the tank? Other pets? Do you live in an apartment or rental where where they could have sprayed for bugs?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:37 pm

They were alive and well just a few days ago. We have cats but the tank is secure from them and they never bother the tank anyway. We live in a house so no spraying for bugs or anything.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:55 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about your hermies. Did you recently feed them any new foods that could have been contaminated?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:57 pm

Nope, no new foods.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Do you put any flea medications on your cats? Could they have rubbed them on top of the tanks?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:35 pm

We did but this was a few months ago. And they rarely go in my room and don't go near my dresser where the tank is. I have another tank up there so they can't really fit. It is the weirdest thing. I can't find any reasoning behind it.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Maybe the one you had for 3 months had something that spread to the others?... I’m really not sure either. I am so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm

Thanks so much. Maybe that is what happened. I don't know. Acuff always seemed alert and healthy, no mites or anything, I made sure he seemed fine before introducing him to Brigadier and Harley. It is weird that this happened to all of them so suddenly. Still in shock about it. I'm 17 and I got Brigs when I was 12 and Harley when I was 13. I've had a lot life while having them and I thought they'd be something constant for a while longer.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Your tank conditions sound good. That is the strangest thing. I'm so sorry.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 pm

It also makes me hesitant for when I decide I want more crabs. (Crabs are the best so there's no doubt that I do) I don't want a repeat of whatever may have happened.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:26 pm

I'm not sure if they are more or less sensitive, but if you don't have a Carbon Monoxide detector, I would strongly recommend getting one. That's pretty much the only thing I can think of in this situation!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:01 pm

So today I was cleaning the hides and things like that in my crabitat for when I possibly buy new crabs. I found some strange bugs? or something on or in the opening of a few of the shells. They were round and darkish gray. I looked at them under a microscope and didn't see any legs or eyes but just gray almost green lumps. Does anyone know what those may be?