Adding Sand to substrate

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
kfreestone08

Adding Sand to substrate

Post by kfreestone08 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Apologies, I am just getting used to the chat function. I got some play sand from Home Depot that I want to add to the coconut substrate. Do I need to do anything to the sand before I add it like rinse it or bake it? Thank you!

3 crabs are named Michshelly, Tomatoa, and Ernie.

Renroc

Re: Adding Sand to substrate

Post by Renroc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi there, No playsand is fine to add as is. 5 parts sand to 1 part ee is the normal ratio
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

xambackwards

Post by xambackwards » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:42 am

make sure not to dig up any crabs, wait until they all come up or add one inch of sub every 24hrs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:30 am

Hello! You would still want to moisten it with dechlorinated msw or dechlorinated fw to make it sandcastle consistency before you added it :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com