Java moss

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Java moss

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Hello, I’ve been researching Java moss and it looks like it’s ok for hermit crabs, but I haven’t seen anyone talk about a grid like the attached photo. I found this at Walmart, would it be ok to use in my crabs tank? I’m not sure if about the metal mesh backing... or if it would even survive? It’s made to be submerged in a fish tank.

Tank humidity is consistently around 79-83%, but would the moss survive? Is the metal Backing a problem? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jennaleigha

Re: Java moss

Post by jennaleigha » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:43 pm

Plasmoc wrote:Hello, I’ve been researching Java moss and it looks like it’s ok for hermit crabs, but I haven’t seen anyone talk about a grid like the attached photo. I found this at Walmart, would it be ok to use in my crabs tank? I’m not sure if about the metal mesh backing... or if it would even survive? It’s made to be submerged in a fish tank.

Tank humidity is consistently around 79-83%, but would the moss survive? Is the metal Backing a problem? Image

I wouldn’t recommend it because of the metal backing. It can be harmful for crabs to eat anything that’s in direct contact with metal. Also, you need to make sure the moss is organic so there aren’t any chemicals that can harm them. I buy my moss off of Etsy and my crabs love it. They all spend more time over the moss dish than anywhere else. Give me a few and I’ll post a link to where I buy from.

jennaleigha

Post by jennaleigha » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:53 pm

jennaleigha wrote: I wouldn’t recommend it because of the metal backing. It can be harmful for crabs to eat anything that’s in direct contact with metal. Also, you need to make sure the moss is organic so there aren’t any chemicals that can harm them. I buy my moss off of Etsy and my crabs love it. They all spend more time over the moss dish than anywhere else. Give me a few and I’ll post a link to where I buy from.

Both of these sellers are great. They both sell cushion moss and mood moss/frog moss which are safe for hermit crabs, and mine love them both. The first seller also sells Plume Moss, which is hermit crab safe as well.

https://etsy.me/1islGuJ

https://etsy.me/2D5Og8d

I highly recommend the addition of moss. I keep my humidity between 78-82% and it stays alive (until the crabs eat it all Image). I recommend misting the moss once or twice a week.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks so much! I wondered about the organic factor as well. Thank you for your input I’ll check out those Etsy sellers instead.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:55 pm

Java moss requires moist/aquatic conditions in order to thrive. So best placed in the freshwater pool. The metal backing is stainless steel mesh, and will not corrode in the crabs environment and is safe to add.

If you want moss outside the bowl, you'll need to source moss that grow terrestrially.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies