Molting Questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Grey

Molting Questions

Post by Grey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 pm

I just got home and i found an exoskeleton on top of my crab, so i assume she molted, but she wasn’t burrowed. Is that something i should be concerned about? She is a purple pincher but after molting from what i’ve seen (she was hiding in her shell and i do t want to bother her) she seems to be this orangish color, is that normal? I’m probably going to look it up but i wanted to ask here too
I would add a picture but i don’t know how

Topic author
Grey

Re: Molting Questions

Post by Grey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I didn’t see the molting one below sorry

doth

Post by doth » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 pm

surface molting can be dangerous, I think there is some info about it on the molting care sheet. leave the exo in with her so she can eat it. the concern now is if her new exo isn't fully hardened that puts her at risk of being attacked by other crabs. if you have other crabs, do you have a way to temporarily separate her from them?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 pm

doth wrote:surface molting can be dangerous, I think there is some info about it on the molting care sheet. leave the exo in with her so she can eat it. the concern now is if her new exo isn't fully hardened that puts her at risk of being attacked by other crabs. if you have other crabs, do you have a way to temporarily separate her from them?

Agree with this. If there's other crabs, seperate them as the surface moulter makes an easy and attractive meal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Grey

Post by Grey » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:37 pm

I couldn’t separate her but the other crabs left her alone and i think she’s gaining color, she’s been hiding away in this shell that’s too big for her for the past week but i think her exoskeleton is at least almost fully hardened

doth

Post by doth » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Grey wrote:I couldn’t separate her but the other crabs left her alone and i think she’s gaining color, she’s been hiding away in this shell that’s too big for her for the past week but i think her exoskeleton is at least almost fully hardened
ok great, hopefully she's gone! keep an eye on her and make sure she has a lot of shell options & lots of protein and calcium!

doth

Post by doth » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:46 pm

doth wrote:ok great, hopefully she's gone! keep an eye on her and make sure she has a lot of shell options & lots of protein and calcium!

*done

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am

Grey wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:37 pm
I couldn’t separate her but the other crabs left her alone and i think she’s gaining color, she’s been hiding away in this shell that’s too big for her for the past week but i think her exoskeleton is at least almost fully hardened
If you have a kritter carrier (one of those dreaded plastic containers that most hermit crabs are typically purchased in), you can place your crab in that and place it in the tank to keep your crab safe.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com